Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
A suspected case of the ransomware attack has been identified in a computer system in a healthcare center in southeast Ireland's Wexford city, public broadcaster RTE reported on Saturday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The malware attack at the center has been isolated and prevented from spreading, RTE said.
The center, which is owned by a voluntary organization, is not controlled by the government health agency HSE and is therefore not part of HSE's computer network.
But computer experts in the HSE are helping the organization to stop the spread of the malware.
Earlier, the HSE said it was taking precautionary action to protect its IT systems following the ransomware attack on Britain's National Health Service (NHS).
In a statement, the HSE said access to external email has been removed from all threatened and targeted devices.
In the HSE, there are approximately 1,500 devices that are considered either threatened or targeted devices. This includes devices that deliver diagnostic imaging and bio-medical device control machines.
Currently, the HSE is working closely with the organizations that deliver technology to the health system regarding assurance and levels of preparedness. Anti-Virus updates are currently being installed in these devices and a process of testing is underway.
The WannaCry ransomware virus has rapidly spreaded across computer systems in around 100 countries and regions, including Russia and Britain. On Friday, Britain's NHS network was affected, shutting down many of its systems and affecting services.
The ransomware attack is boiling down to a computer virus that makes users' computers useless unless a payment is made to those who hacked their system.
Related news releases
- 25.07.20179 PKK terrorists killed in Iraq says Turkish military
- 25.07.2017IRGC says neutralized US Navy provocative move in Persian Gulf - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Israel to replace metal detectors in Jerusalem with smart surveillance
- 25.07.2017Israeli embassy staff in Jordan returned to Israel
- 25.07.2017UN to investigate civilian killings in Afghanistan
- 24.07.2017Israel cites self-defense in Amman embassy shooting
- 24.07.2017Russian, Qatari top diplomats discuss Gulf crisis
- 23.07.2017Dozens of IS militants killed in air raid: Iraqi forces
- 23.07.2017North Korea says South will pay 'Harshest' price for challenging missile tests
- 23.07.20177 killed, 2 injured in Guangzhou tower crane collapse
- 23.07.2017Iran seizes Saudi vessel in Persian Gulf, arrests crew
- 22.07.2017Iran announces new missile production line
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 14.05.2017At least 3 killed, 225 injured in earthquake in northeastern Iran - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017States should abandon belligerent rhetoric to overcome global stagnation — Putin
- 14.05.2017North Korea missile flew about 700 kilometers, - UPDATED