Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
A suspected case of the ransomware attack has been identified in a computer system in a healthcare center in southeast Ireland's Wexford city, public broadcaster RTE reported on Saturday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The malware attack at the center has been isolated and prevented from spreading, RTE said.
The center, which is owned by a voluntary organization, is not controlled by the government health agency HSE and is therefore not part of HSE's computer network.
But computer experts in the HSE are helping the organization to stop the spread of the malware.
Earlier, the HSE said it was taking precautionary action to protect its IT systems following the ransomware attack on Britain's National Health Service (NHS).
In a statement, the HSE said access to external email has been removed from all threatened and targeted devices.
In the HSE, there are approximately 1,500 devices that are considered either threatened or targeted devices. This includes devices that deliver diagnostic imaging and bio-medical device control machines.
Currently, the HSE is working closely with the organizations that deliver technology to the health system regarding assurance and levels of preparedness. Anti-Virus updates are currently being installed in these devices and a process of testing is underway.
The WannaCry ransomware virus has rapidly spreaded across computer systems in around 100 countries and regions, including Russia and Britain. On Friday, Britain's NHS network was affected, shutting down many of its systems and affecting services.
The ransomware attack is boiling down to a computer virus that makes users' computers useless unless a payment is made to those who hacked their system.
Related news releases
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 12.09.2013Israeli PM welcomes Russian proposal for Syrian chemical weapon
- 12.09.201345 killed, 63 wounded in violent attacks in Iraq
- 12.09.2013Pakistani army rejected Taliban's claim of prisoners swap
- 12.09.2013Chinese vice president meets U.S. delegation
- 11.09.2013Syria crisis threatens SE Europe security: Bulgarian intelligence official
- 11.09.2013Iraq welcomes Russia's initiative over Syrian chemical weapons