Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
A suspected case of the ransomware attack has been identified in a computer system in a healthcare center in southeast Ireland's Wexford city, public broadcaster RTE reported on Saturday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The malware attack at the center has been isolated and prevented from spreading, RTE said.
The center, which is owned by a voluntary organization, is not controlled by the government health agency HSE and is therefore not part of HSE's computer network.
But computer experts in the HSE are helping the organization to stop the spread of the malware.
Earlier, the HSE said it was taking precautionary action to protect its IT systems following the ransomware attack on Britain's National Health Service (NHS).
In a statement, the HSE said access to external email has been removed from all threatened and targeted devices.
In the HSE, there are approximately 1,500 devices that are considered either threatened or targeted devices. This includes devices that deliver diagnostic imaging and bio-medical device control machines.
Currently, the HSE is working closely with the organizations that deliver technology to the health system regarding assurance and levels of preparedness. Anti-Virus updates are currently being installed in these devices and a process of testing is underway.
The WannaCry ransomware virus has rapidly spreaded across computer systems in around 100 countries and regions, including Russia and Britain. On Friday, Britain's NHS network was affected, shutting down many of its systems and affecting services.
The ransomware attack is boiling down to a computer virus that makes users' computers useless unless a payment is made to those who hacked their system.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Over 90 people dead, 110 missing as heavy floods hit Sri Lanka
- 27.05.201720 Houthi rebels killed in southern Yemen
- 26.05.2017Roadside bomb claims 10 civilians in Afghanistan
- 26.05.2017Philippine president urges IS-linked rebels to halt siege, start talks
- 26.05.2017OPEC cuts extension encourages oil bulls amid Asian supply-side concerns
- 26.05.2017China to build global navigation satellite system by 2020
- 25.05.2017Manila deploys commandoes, helicopters to retake city from rebels
- 25.05.2017105 civilians killed in US airstrike in Mosul
- 25.05.2017Nepalese PM resigns ahead of final round of local polls
- 24.05.2017Suspected suicide bombers kill 3 police officers, wound 10 in Jakarta - UPDATED
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 14.05.2017At least 3 killed, 225 injured in earthquake in northeastern Iran - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017States should abandon belligerent rhetoric to overcome global stagnation — Putin
- 14.05.2017North Korea missile flew about 700 kilometers, - UPDATED