Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
A suspected case of the ransomware attack has been identified in a computer system in a healthcare center in southeast Ireland's Wexford city, public broadcaster RTE reported on Saturday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The malware attack at the center has been isolated and prevented from spreading, RTE said.
The center, which is owned by a voluntary organization, is not controlled by the government health agency HSE and is therefore not part of HSE's computer network.
But computer experts in the HSE are helping the organization to stop the spread of the malware.
Earlier, the HSE said it was taking precautionary action to protect its IT systems following the ransomware attack on Britain's National Health Service (NHS).
In a statement, the HSE said access to external email has been removed from all threatened and targeted devices.
In the HSE, there are approximately 1,500 devices that are considered either threatened or targeted devices. This includes devices that deliver diagnostic imaging and bio-medical device control machines.
Currently, the HSE is working closely with the organizations that deliver technology to the health system regarding assurance and levels of preparedness. Anti-Virus updates are currently being installed in these devices and a process of testing is underway.
The WannaCry ransomware virus has rapidly spreaded across computer systems in around 100 countries and regions, including Russia and Britain. On Friday, Britain's NHS network was affected, shutting down many of its systems and affecting services.
The ransomware attack is boiling down to a computer virus that makes users' computers useless unless a payment is made to those who hacked their system.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Palestine Ready to Exchange Minor Territories With Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 14.05.2017At least 3 killed, 225 injured in earthquake in northeastern Iran - UPDATED
- 14.05.2017States should abandon belligerent rhetoric to overcome global stagnation — Putin
- 14.05.2017North Korea missile flew about 700 kilometers, - UPDATED