Suicide explosion kills 11 soldiers in NW Pakistan
At least 11 security personnel, including an army officer, were killed and 13 others injured on Saturday when a suicide bomber blew himself up near a military camp in the Swat district of northwestern Pakistan, army officials said, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
The suicide bomber struck in the Kabal area of theSwat district, Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), a media wing of Pakistan army said in a statement.
In a statement, the outlawed militants groups Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), claimed responsibility for the attack.
Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi strongly condemned the attack and expressed his grief over the losses of security personnel.
"Coward enemy terrorists are no match for our valiant sons of the soil and no attack can deter us in pursuing our struggle against the menace of terrorism," Abbasi said in a statement.
Swat, a tourist spot located in the northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, is also known as the "Switzerland of Pakistan".
The valley was once a TTP stronghold from 2007 to 2009.
The Pakistani army had launched a large scale operation against the militants in the Swat valley in 2009 and destroyed their hideouts within two months.
The last deadly attacked carried out by TTP militants in Swat in January 2013 had targeted a religious center and killed 21 worshipers and injured 70 others.
Swat is also a home town of Nobel Peace Prize winer, Malala Yousafzai. In 2012, Taliban militants had shot and severely injured Malala Yousafzai, who has campaigned for girls' education in Pakistan's northwestern tribal belt. They allegedly carried out the attack on the orders of Taliban leader Maulana Fazlullah.
The brazen attack on Yousafzai, who was 15 at the time, sparked outrage in Pakistan and internationally. She was jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014, alongside Indian child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 03.02.2018Five Turkish soldiers killed in attack on tank in Syria's Afrin
- 03.02.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PYD/PKK attack
- 04.02.2018Iran's FM: "US nuclear doctrine bringing humankind closer to annihilation"
- 03.02.2018Turkish army destroys terrorist shelters in Afrin op
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Su-25 fighter jet shot down by militants in Syria, pilot killed - UPDATED
- 03.02.2018Bomb blast kills top military commander in S. Yemen