Suicide explosion kills 11 soldiers in NW Pakistan
At least 11 security personnel, including an army officer, were killed and 13 others injured on Saturday when a suicide bomber blew himself up near a military camp in the Swat district of northwestern Pakistan, army officials said, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
The suicide bomber struck in the Kabal area of theSwat district, Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), a media wing of Pakistan army said in a statement.
In a statement, the outlawed militants groups Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), claimed responsibility for the attack.
Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi strongly condemned the attack and expressed his grief over the losses of security personnel.
"Coward enemy terrorists are no match for our valiant sons of the soil and no attack can deter us in pursuing our struggle against the menace of terrorism," Abbasi said in a statement.
Swat, a tourist spot located in the northwestern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, is also known as the "Switzerland of Pakistan".
The valley was once a TTP stronghold from 2007 to 2009.
The Pakistani army had launched a large scale operation against the militants in the Swat valley in 2009 and destroyed their hideouts within two months.
The last deadly attacked carried out by TTP militants in Swat in January 2013 had targeted a religious center and killed 21 worshipers and injured 70 others.
Swat is also a home town of Nobel Peace Prize winer, Malala Yousafzai. In 2012, Taliban militants had shot and severely injured Malala Yousafzai, who has campaigned for girls' education in Pakistan's northwestern tribal belt. They allegedly carried out the attack on the orders of Taliban leader Maulana Fazlullah.
The brazen attack on Yousafzai, who was 15 at the time, sparked outrage in Pakistan and internationally. She was jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014, alongside Indian child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018Over 40 improvised bombs destroyed at Syria’s Yarmouk camp
- 27.05.2018Israel airstrikes target Hamas positions in Gaza
- 26.05.2018Bombs target Iraq communist party headquarters
- 25.05.2018IAEA report confirms Iran's commitment to nuclear agreement
- 25.05.2018North Korea says it's still willing to meet with Trump
- 25.05.2018Over 185 undocumented migrants held in western Turkey
- 24.05.2018Syrian state media says U.S. struck army base, U.S. denies
- 24.05.2018At least four killed, 15 wounded in Baghdad bomb blast
- 24.05.2018N Korean FM: Trump-Kim Summit Depends on 'US Behavior
- 24.05.2018Iran leader blasts U.S. for 'theatrical' pullout from nuclear deal
- 23.05.2018Iran's Zarif calls Pompeo's comments 'untrue', based on 'old illusions': state TV
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 03.02.2018Five Turkish soldiers killed in attack on tank in Syria's Afrin
- 03.02.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to wounds from PYD/PKK attack
- 04.02.2018Iran's FM: "US nuclear doctrine bringing humankind closer to annihilation"
- 03.02.2018Turkish army destroys terrorist shelters in Afrin op
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Su-25 fighter jet shot down by militants in Syria, pilot killed - UPDATED
- 03.02.2018Bomb blast kills top military commander in S. Yemen