Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
A suicide bomber blew himself up at a checkpoint near the main cricket stadium in the Afghan capital Kabul on Wednesday, killing at least three people as a tournament was under way, officials said, APA report quoting Reuters.
Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danesh said two police and one civilian were killed and five people wounded. Local Tolo News Television quoted the Afghan Cricket Board as saying all players were safe.
The blast outside Kabul International Cricket Stadium took place during a match in Afghanistan’s Shpageeza Cricket League, a T20 franchise tournament on the lines of the Indian Premier League and similar 20-over tournaments.
A statement in Bosnian on Islamic State’s Amaq news agency said a suicide attack had been carried out on members of the Afghan security forces in Kabul, although it was not immediately clear whether the statement referred to the same incident.
The Shpageeza tournament, now in its fifth season, is one of a small number of Western-style sports competitions along with Afghan Premier League football that have grown up since a U.S.-led campaign toppled the Taliban in 2001.
A small number of foreign players are also taking part in the competition.
Cricket, which spread from refugee camps in Pakistan, has become one of Afghanistan’s most popular sports and the national team has become increasingly successful, raising the profile of the game.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump
- 11.11.2017Jordan, Russia, US agree on de-escalation zone in Syria
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 13.09.2017Iraqi MPs call for crisis meeting on Kurd region poll
- 13.09.2017Five crew missing after dredger collides with tanker off Singapore
- 12.09.2017200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF