Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
A suicide bomber blew himself up at a checkpoint near the main cricket stadium in the Afghan capital Kabul on Wednesday, killing at least three people as a tournament was under way, officials said, APA report quoting Reuters.
Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danesh said two police and one civilian were killed and five people wounded. Local Tolo News Television quoted the Afghan Cricket Board as saying all players were safe.
The blast outside Kabul International Cricket Stadium took place during a match in Afghanistan’s Shpageeza Cricket League, a T20 franchise tournament on the lines of the Indian Premier League and similar 20-over tournaments.
A statement in Bosnian on Islamic State’s Amaq news agency said a suicide attack had been carried out on members of the Afghan security forces in Kabul, although it was not immediately clear whether the statement referred to the same incident.
The Shpageeza tournament, now in its fifth season, is one of a small number of Western-style sports competitions along with Afghan Premier League football that have grown up since a U.S.-led campaign toppled the Taliban in 2001.
A small number of foreign players are also taking part in the competition.
Cricket, which spread from refugee camps in Pakistan, has become one of Afghanistan’s most popular sports and the national team has become increasingly successful, raising the profile of the game.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 05.03.2018'More than 40 militants' killed in Afghanistan
- 05.03.2018Papua New Guinea quake kills 80 people
- 04.03.2018N. Korea warns U.S. not to misjudge intention for talks
- 03.03.2018Saudi Arabia holds first-ever marathon for women
- 03.03.2018Turkish female troops provide backup in Afrin operation
- 03.03.2018North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills
- 03.03.2018Three Australians die, more sick in listeria outbreak tied to melons
- 02.03.2018Saudi Arabia lifts 35-year-long ban on cinemas
- 02.03.2018South Korea plans to send envoy to North Korea soon
- 02.03.20188 Turkish soldiers martyred, 13 wounded in Afrin
- 02.03.2018Iran detains 35 women for going to football match
- 02.03.2018IED blast kills 2 in Afghanistan
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 13.09.2017Iraqi MPs call for crisis meeting on Kurd region poll
- 13.09.2017Five crew missing after dredger collides with tanker off Singapore
- 12.09.2017200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF