Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
A suicide bomber blew himself up at a checkpoint near the main cricket stadium in the Afghan capital Kabul on Wednesday, killing at least three people as a tournament was under way, officials said, APA report quoting Reuters.
Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danesh said two police and one civilian were killed and five people wounded. Local Tolo News Television quoted the Afghan Cricket Board as saying all players were safe.
The blast outside Kabul International Cricket Stadium took place during a match in Afghanistan’s Shpageeza Cricket League, a T20 franchise tournament on the lines of the Indian Premier League and similar 20-over tournaments.
A statement in Bosnian on Islamic State’s Amaq news agency said a suicide attack had been carried out on members of the Afghan security forces in Kabul, although it was not immediately clear whether the statement referred to the same incident.
The Shpageeza tournament, now in its fifth season, is one of a small number of Western-style sports competitions along with Afghan Premier League football that have grown up since a U.S.-led campaign toppled the Taliban in 2001.
A small number of foreign players are also taking part in the competition.
Cricket, which spread from refugee camps in Pakistan, has become one of Afghanistan’s most popular sports and the national team has become increasingly successful, raising the profile of the game.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 12.09.2017Airstrikes kill 14 terrorists in Kirkuk: Iraqi sources
- 11.09.2017Israel welcomes decision to pardon blogger Lapshin
- 10.09.2017First Summit on Science and Technology of Organization of Islamic Cooperation starts in Astana
- 10.09.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes nuclear scientists, holds celebration bash
- 10.09.2017Rohingya insurgents declare temporary ceasefire amid humanitarian crisis
- 10.09.2017North Korea 'secretly helped by Iran to gain nuclear weapons', British officials fear
- 10.09.2017US warplanes stop shadowing ISIL convoy at Russia’s request
- 10.09.2017Rouhani, Erdogan meet in Astana ahead of OIC summit
- 10.09.2017Policeman martyred in vehicle accident in Turkey's east
- 10.09.2017PKK attacker on Turkish opposition convoy identified
- 09.09.20177 PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey and Iraq's north
- 09.09.2017Deir ez-Zor: Syrian, Russian forces inflict biggest defeat on ISIL in 3 years
- 09.09.2017Pakistan summons Myanmar ambassador over Rohingya issue
- 08.09.2017Tehrani worshipers protest violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 08.09.2017Four influential ISIS warlords annihilated by Russian strike near Deir ez-Zor
- 07.09.2017Pakistan's anti-corruption agency to file criminal charges against ex-PM, finance minister
- 07.09.2017Road accidents leave 16 people dead in Iran in one day
- 07.09.2017Two PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 07.09.2017Syrian opposition must accept it has not won the war: U.N.
- 07.09.2017Syrian army fights to secure corridor into Deir al-Zor
- 06.09.2017Japanese PM urges Russia to collaborate in untangling situation around DPRK
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 13.09.2017Iraqi MPs call for crisis meeting on Kurd region poll
- 13.09.2017Five crew missing after dredger collides with tanker off Singapore
- 12.09.2017200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF