South Korean President to visit White House May 22 to talk Trump-Kim Summit
On Friday evening, the White House announced that South Korean President Moon Jae In will visit the US capital in late May to discuss US President Donald Trump's meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Moon's visit will occur on May 22.
Previously, the White House has hinted that the Trump-Kim meeting will take place in May or June. With the latest developments, Trump is unlikely to meet Kim before Moon visits the White House.
"President Trump and President Moon will continue their close coordination on developments regarding the Korean Peninsula following the April 27 inter-Korean Summit," the White House said in a statement.
"The two leaders will also discuss President Trump's upcoming meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un," the US president's press office added.
South and North Korea have legally been at war with one another since the Korean War of 1950-1953, since Seoul, Pyongyang, Beijing and Washington never reached a peace accord. The 1953 Korean Armistice Agreement provided only for a suspension of open hostilities and a fixed demarcation line with a buffer zone — the so-called Demilitarized Zone, or DMZ.
Last week, Moon and Kim held a historic summit in Panmunjom, the city where the armistice was signed, in which the leaders shook hands and stepped on one another's territory in a symbolic gesture.
Friday morning, Chinese President Xi Jinping said "the international community and related parties should offer more support and encouragement to the matter. At present, the region is at a crucial juncture and the Korean Peninsula is facing a historic chance for peace."
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018Over 40 improvised bombs destroyed at Syria’s Yarmouk camp
- 27.05.2018Israel airstrikes target Hamas positions in Gaza
- 26.05.2018Bombs target Iraq communist party headquarters
- 25.05.2018IAEA report confirms Iran's commitment to nuclear agreement
- 25.05.2018North Korea says it's still willing to meet with Trump
- 25.05.2018Over 185 undocumented migrants held in western Turkey
- 24.05.2018Syrian state media says U.S. struck army base, U.S. denies
- 24.05.2018At least four killed, 15 wounded in Baghdad bomb blast
- 24.05.2018N Korean FM: Trump-Kim Summit Depends on 'US Behavior
- 24.05.2018Iran leader blasts U.S. for 'theatrical' pullout from nuclear deal
- 23.05.2018Iran's Zarif calls Pompeo's comments 'untrue', based on 'old illusions': state TV
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 05.05.2018Kuwaiti warship sinks in Persian Gulf - General Staff
- 06.05.201822 injured as bus skids off mountain road in India
- 06.05.201812 Turkish students hospitalized after lightning strike at picnic
- 05.05.2018Two quakes rock Hawaii's big island as volcano is erupting
- 05.05.2018Nuclear deal a challenge for Rouhani as Iran hardliners close in
- 05.05.20183 Daesh terrorists killed in northern Iraq