South Korean court throws president out of office; two die in protest
South Korea's Constitutional Court removed President Park Geun-hye from office on Friday over a graft scandal involving the country's conglomerates at a time of rising tensions with North Korea and China.
The ruling sparked protests from hundreds of Park's supporters, two of whom were killed in clashes with police outside the court, and a festive rally by those who had demanded her ouster who celebrated justice being served.
"We did it. We the citizens, the sovereign of this country, opened a new chapter in history," Lee Tae-ho, the leader of a movement to oust Park that has held mostly peaceful rallies in downtown involving millions, told a large gathering in Seoul.
Park becomes South Korea's first democratically elected leader to be forced from office, capping months of paralysis and turmoil over the corruption scandal that also landed the head of the Samsung conglomerate in detention and on trial.
A snap presidential election will be held within 60 days.
Park did not appear in court, and a spokesman said she would not be making any comment. She also would not leave the presidential Blue House residence on Friday.
"Park is not leaving the Blue House today," Blue House spokesman Kim Dong Jo told Reuters.
Park was stripped of her powers after parliament voted to impeach her but has remained in the president's official compound.
The court's acting chief judge, Lee Jung-mi, said Park had violated the constitution and law "throughout her term," and despite the objections of parliament and the media, she had concealed the truth and cracked down on critics.
Park has steadfastly denied any wrongdoing.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 09.06.2018Turkish forces 'deployed 30km inside' of northern Iraq
- 09.06.2018China accused of hacking, stealing US Navy plans
- 09.06.2018EU foreign policy chief cancels visit to Israel
- 08.06.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians as Gaza protest resumes
- 08.06.2018Saudi court sentences 4 to death over Iran espionage
- 07.06.2018At least 18 killed in Baghdad explosion
- 07.06.2018Sudan says it has cut all defence ties with North Korea
- 11.03.2017Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 10.03.2017Seven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 10.03.2017Tehran welcomes Chinese offer to mediate with Riyadh
- 10.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office, two dead in protest