South Korean court throws president out of office, two dead in protest
South Korea's Constitutional Court removed President Park Geun-hye from office on Friday over a graft scandal involving the country's conglomerates, sparking protests from her supporters two of whom were killed in clashes with police, APA reported citing Reuters.
Park becomes South Korea's first democratically elected leader to be forced from office, capping months of paralysis and turmoil. Her ouster comes amid rising tension with North Korea and China, and the corruption scandal has also landed the head of the Samsung conglomerate in jail.
A presidential election will be held within 60 days.
After the verdict, hundreds of Park's supporters outside the court tried to break through police barricades and two of them died, police said. One elderly man was taken to hospital with a head injury and the circumstances of the second death were being investigated.
Earlier in the day, both supporters and critics of Park gathered outside the Constitutional Court compound, where around 20,000 police officers stood in anticipation of potential violent clashes.
Many of Park's backers were elderly or middle aged, and two people received first-aid emergency procedures.
Related news releases
- 25.03.201710 dead in central China mine accidents
- 25.03.2017Iran criticizes renewal of UN special rapporteur's mission: spokesman
- 25.03.2017Russian, U.S. defense officials discuss air safety over Syria
- 24.03.2017Bomber blows himself up near Bangladesh's principal airport in Dhaka
- 24.03.2017Turkey announces North Korea-related asset freeze
- 24.03.2017Italy deports 25th extremist since beginning of 2017
- 23.03.2017Next step against İSİS is Raqqah offensive
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 19.03.2017North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen
- 17.03.2017Houthis 'kill 22 soldiers' in Yemen attack
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India
- 16.03.2017US seeking ‘serious’ Mideast talks: Palestinian FM
- 16.03.2017Car bomb attack kills at least 4 in Tikrit, Iraq
- 15.03.2017Explosion hits Palace of Justice in Damascus, multiple casualties reported
- 15.03.201790% of Mosul Retaken from Daesh - Police Chief
- 14.03.2017Two killed in fireworks blaze in central Israel
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 14.03.2017Syrian war monitor says 465,000 killed in six years of fighting
- 13.03.201728 Houthis killed in shelling, airstrikes: Yemeni army
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 11.03.2017Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan
- 07.03.2017Japan, US leaders agree to hold 2+2 format talks amid N. Korean missile launches
- 07.03.2017North Korea says temporarily bans Malaysians from leaving the country
- 07.03.2017U.S. starts deploying THAAD system in South Korea after North Korea missile test
- 07.03.20175 traffic police, 5 civilians killed in renewed fighting in Myanmar
- 07.03.2017Four protesters killed, dozens injured in south eastern Nepal
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria
- 10.03.2017Tehran welcomes Chinese offer to mediate with Riyadh
- 10.03.2017Seven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 11.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office; two die in protest
- 10.03.2017Impeachment of South Korean president approved by constitutional court
- 09.03.2017Iran successfully test-fires Hormuz-2 ballistic missile
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia