South Korean court throws president out of office, two dead in protest
South Korea's Constitutional Court removed President Park Geun-hye from office on Friday over a graft scandal involving the country's conglomerates, sparking protests from her supporters two of whom were killed in clashes with police, APA reported citing Reuters.
Park becomes South Korea's first democratically elected leader to be forced from office, capping months of paralysis and turmoil. Her ouster comes amid rising tension with North Korea and China, and the corruption scandal has also landed the head of the Samsung conglomerate in jail.
A presidential election will be held within 60 days.
After the verdict, hundreds of Park's supporters outside the court tried to break through police barricades and two of them died, police said. One elderly man was taken to hospital with a head injury and the circumstances of the second death were being investigated.
Earlier in the day, both supporters and critics of Park gathered outside the Constitutional Court compound, where around 20,000 police officers stood in anticipation of potential violent clashes.
Many of Park's backers were elderly or middle aged, and two people received first-aid emergency procedures.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018Turkmenistan to go to polls on Sunday
- 25.03.2018More than 260 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 24.03.2018Explosion in Afghan capital reportedly kills 1, injures 9
- 24.03.2018Car bomb rips through crowd at Afghan wrestling match
- 24.03.2018Seoul says North Korea agrees to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on March 29
- 24.03.2018China's Liu He says China ready to defend its interests in trade spat with U.S.
- 23.03.2018Yemen’s Houthis claim to fire missile into Saudi Arabia
- 23.03.2018Luxury tenement fire in Vietnam' HCM City kills 13
- 23.03.2018Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey - UPDATED
- 22.03.2018Military training aircraft crashes in central Turkey
- 22.03.2018Turkey, Free Syrian Army clear 4 more villages in Afrin
- 20.03.2018Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 10.03.2017Tehran welcomes Chinese offer to mediate with Riyadh
- 10.03.2017Seven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 11.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office; two die in protest
- 10.03.2017Impeachment of South Korean president approved by constitutional court
- 09.03.2017Iran successfully test-fires Hormuz-2 ballistic missile
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia