South Korean court throws president out of office, two dead in protest
South Korea's Constitutional Court removed President Park Geun-hye from office on Friday over a graft scandal involving the country's conglomerates, sparking protests from her supporters two of whom were killed in clashes with police, APA reported citing Reuters.
Park becomes South Korea's first democratically elected leader to be forced from office, capping months of paralysis and turmoil. Her ouster comes amid rising tension with North Korea and China, and the corruption scandal has also landed the head of the Samsung conglomerate in jail.
A presidential election will be held within 60 days.
After the verdict, hundreds of Park's supporters outside the court tried to break through police barricades and two of them died, police said. One elderly man was taken to hospital with a head injury and the circumstances of the second death were being investigated.
Earlier in the day, both supporters and critics of Park gathered outside the Constitutional Court compound, where around 20,000 police officers stood in anticipation of potential violent clashes.
Many of Park's backers were elderly or middle aged, and two people received first-aid emergency procedures.
Related news releases
- 26.04.201714 killed in Taliban attack in Pakistan's tribal belt
- 26.04.2017The United States received a notice from Turkey an hour before operation in Syria and Iraq
- 26.04.2017Turkish jets kill senior PKK member in northern Iraq
- 25.04.2017Ankara court sentences 24 to life for killing Kurdish teen
- 24.04.201726 paramilitary personnel killed in central India
- 24.04.2017Philippines: 36 Maute terrorists killed in clashes
- 24.04.2017Suspected Maoist rebels kill 24 troops in Chhattisgarh
- 24.04.2017Iran to open polls in Azerbaijan for May 19 presidential election
- 23.04.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Philippines
- 23.04.2017Saudi king restores civil service and military allowances
- 22.04.2017Turkey condemns terror attack on Afghan army
- 22.04.2017Five killed in road accident in southern Philippines
- 22.04.2017Terrorists launch mortar attack in Damascus
- 22.04.2017Taliban kill '140' troops in Afghan base attack
- 22.04.2017At least 8 killed in eastern India in fighting over control for sandpits
- 21.04.2017U.S. forces kill Islamic State militant linked to Turkey nightclub attack
- 21.04.2017Taliban inflict more than 50 Afghan casualties in base attack, U.S. says - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017İSİL claims responsibility for Paris shooting
- 21.04.2017EU says ready to welcome back UK if it decides to stay
- 20.04.2017Russian officer killed in militant attack on Syrian Army Base - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017Syrian President: "Reports about capture of ISIL leader Baghdadi not true"
- 20.04.2017Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif
- 20.04.2017Bus-truck collision leaves 11 dead in Iran
- 20.04.2017North Korea says 'don't mess with us' as U.S. plans next move
- 20.04.2017Syria chemical attack undeniable, says OPCW chief
- 20.04.2017At Least 3 Al-Qaeda Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Southern Afghanistan
- 20.04.2017Tillerson: Iran nuclear agreement fails to achieve objectives
- 19.04.2017Iraqi army says third of old western Mosul retaken
- 19.04.2017Australian advisers caught in Mosul chemical attack
- 19.04.2017Pentagon might try to shoot down Pyongyang’s next missile test
- 18.04.2017Daesh car-bomb attack kills 16 in W. Mosul: Iraqi army
- 18.04.2017Iranian president criticizes IRGC for interfering country’s economic affairs
- 18.04.2017285 killed during Myanmar’s water festival
- 18.04.2017Japan may consider deploying troops in case of DPRK missile fall in its waters
- 18.04.2017Hardline Hindu youth call the shots on streets of northern India
- 17.04.2017US and South Korea agree 'early' deployment of THAAD missile defence system
- 16.04.2017Death toll in Syrian blast rises 100 - UPDATED
- 16.04.2017Ahmadinejad: "Iran has nothing to fear from US"
- 16.04.2017N Korea missile launch fails, says South Korea
- 16.04.2017PKK terrorists attack AK Party bus in Van
- 10.03.2017Tehran welcomes Chinese offer to mediate with Riyadh
- 10.03.2017Seven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 11.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office; two die in protest
- 10.03.2017Impeachment of South Korean president approved by constitutional court
- 09.03.2017Iran successfully test-fires Hormuz-2 ballistic missile
- 07.03.2017Policeman shot dead in eastern Saudi Arabia