South Korean coast guard fires 249 shots at ‘swarming’ Chinese ships
South Korea's Coast Guard reportedly fired 249 warning shots from a machine gun and other weapons as 44 Chinese fishing boats “swarmed” one of its patrol ships in South Korean waters Tuesday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"Chinese ships equipped with steel bars and wire mesh ignored the eviction warning broadcasts from [the coast guard] and rushed towards the patrol boat," a statement by the South Korean Coast Guard reads.
"The Chinese fishing boats sought to swarm around and collide with our patrol ship, ignoring the broadcast warnings," the statement said. After more than 200 shots, the Chinese boats, which crossed into South Korean waters near Gageodo island, retreated.
South Korean Coast Guard ships fired 180 rounds from an M-60 machine gun and around 70 rounds from assault rifles and shotguns in the incident.
South Korean Coast Guard ships frequently chase away Chinese boats fishing illegally in South Korean territory, straining a relationship already complicated by tensions over North Korea's continued nuclear and missile tests and US military exercises nearby.
China has previously expressed concern regarding the use of force by the South Korean Coast Guard.
"China has always attached great importance to the management of overseas fisheries and has actively taken effective measures in relevant waters to maintain fishery production order," China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told reporters in Beijing.
"We hope that South Korea appropriately handles the relevant issue and in the course of law enforcement takes no extreme actions that endanger people's safety," she added.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018North Korea's nuclear production capability still intact - US Commander
- 22.07.2018Coalition planes conduct air strike on civilians in eastern Syria - SANA
- 21.07.2018Hmeymim air defenses shot down militant UAV in Syria - Russian MoD
- 21.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 8 terrorists
- 21.07.201811 killed, 8 injured in clash with terrorists in western Iran
- 21.07.2018One Iraqi protester killed in protest at Badr militia branch
- 21.07.2018Israeli fire kills four Palestinians as troops shot at on Gaza border
- 21.07.2018Israeli soldier killed by Gaza militants along Gaza border
- 19.07.2018Civilians killed in Afghanistan air strike: officials
- 19.07.2018Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least three, more feared dead
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 21.12.2017Several injured when car hits pedestrians in Australia's Melbourne
- 21.12.2017Two die in Iran quake panic
- 21.12.2017Israel's Netanyahu calls U.N. 'house of lies' before Jerusalem vote
- 21.12.2017Saudi-led coalition says to keep port open, air strikes kill at least 9 Yemenis
- 21.12.2017Saudi king receives Palestinian president Abbas
- 21.12.2017Pyongyang Denies Biochemical Weapons Development Charges