South Korean coast guard fires 249 shots at ‘swarming’ Chinese ships
South Korea's Coast Guard reportedly fired 249 warning shots from a machine gun and other weapons as 44 Chinese fishing boats “swarmed” one of its patrol ships in South Korean waters Tuesday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"Chinese ships equipped with steel bars and wire mesh ignored the eviction warning broadcasts from [the coast guard] and rushed towards the patrol boat," a statement by the South Korean Coast Guard reads.
"The Chinese fishing boats sought to swarm around and collide with our patrol ship, ignoring the broadcast warnings," the statement said. After more than 200 shots, the Chinese boats, which crossed into South Korean waters near Gageodo island, retreated.
South Korean Coast Guard ships fired 180 rounds from an M-60 machine gun and around 70 rounds from assault rifles and shotguns in the incident.
South Korean Coast Guard ships frequently chase away Chinese boats fishing illegally in South Korean territory, straining a relationship already complicated by tensions over North Korea's continued nuclear and missile tests and US military exercises nearby.
China has previously expressed concern regarding the use of force by the South Korean Coast Guard.
"China has always attached great importance to the management of overseas fisheries and has actively taken effective measures in relevant waters to maintain fishery production order," China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told reporters in Beijing.
"We hope that South Korea appropriately handles the relevant issue and in the course of law enforcement takes no extreme actions that endanger people's safety," she added.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 09.04.201826 children dead as school bus falls into gorge in India
- 09.04.2018Syrian T-4 airfield hit by Israel’s F-15 jets – Russian Defense Ministry
- 08.04.2018Afghan air strike kills IS commander
- 07.04.2018US Embassy vehicle kills motorcyclist in Pakistan
- 07.04.2018China's state media says U.S. tariff action will be defeated
- 07.04.2018Russia says it will respond firmly to new U.S. sanctions
- 21.12.2017Several injured when car hits pedestrians in Australia's Melbourne
- 21.12.2017Two die in Iran quake panic
- 21.12.2017Israel's Netanyahu calls U.N. 'house of lies' before Jerusalem vote
- 21.12.2017Saudi-led coalition says to keep port open, air strikes kill at least 9 Yemenis
- 21.12.2017Saudi king receives Palestinian president Abbas
- 21.12.2017Pyongyang Denies Biochemical Weapons Development Charges