Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
A small earthquake rattled the area near North Korea's nuclear testing field but it did not appear to be manmade, South Korea's weather agency said on Friday, the latest to be observed after the North conducted its sixth and biggest nuclear test in early September, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Friday's quake was a magnitude 2.7 with a depth of 3 km in North Hamgyong Province in North Korea, the Korea Meteorological Administration said, near the Punggye-ri nuclear testing site.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) measured the quake at 2.9 magnitude with a depth of 5 km and added it could not conclusively confirm its nature.
It was the latest in a string of aftershocks following North Korea's sixth nuclear test on Sept. 3, which caused a 6.3 magnitude earthquake, according to the USGS. These have prompted experts and observers to suspect the last test may have destabilized the mountainous location.
All six nuclear tests have been carried out in this location in the northwest tip of the country. According to 38 North, a Washington-based project which monitors North Korea, numerous landslides throughout the nuclear test site have been detected via satellite images after the sixth test.
These disturbances are more numerous and widespread than seen after any of the North's previous tests, 38 North has said.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO