Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
The two delegations met at a ministerial level in the so-called Peace House in the demilitarized zone to discuss ways to improve relations and on the possible participation of North Korean athletes in the upcoming Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, AOA reports quoting sputniknews.
Delegations of Seoul and Pyongyang began talks at a ministerial level on ways to improve relations and on the possible participation of North Korean athletes in the upcoming Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, local media reported on Tuesday.
According to the Yonhap agency, the negotiations began at 10.00 (01.00 GMT). The two delegations led by North Korea's Ri Son Gwon, chairman of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, and South Korea's Cho Myoung-gyon, Unification Minister, met in the so-called Peace House in the demilitarized zone at the border village of Panmunjom, where representatives of the two countries have repeatedly held negotiations in the past.
Negotiations are being held in closed mode, without journalists. The YTN broadcaster, has made a model of the complex of buildings in Panmunjom in the studio and shows a computer image of the negotiation table with virtual delegates in order to fill the void on the air. According to the broadcaster, the two delegations had to exchange handshakes and statements.
At the same time, the negotiations are reportedly broadcast through an internal channel to the government of South Korea and, probably, to Pyongyang in the sound-only mode.
In the New Year's address North Korean leader Kim Jong Un allowed the participation of the country's athletes in the Olympics, and both sides began preparations for the bilateral high-level talks.
Apart from North Korea’s participation in the Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games, the sides may address a range of issues, including reunion of families, separated in the aftermath of the Korean War, as well as the issue of reducing tensions on the Korean Peninsula, according to Cho Myoung-gyon.
Furthermore, the sides are expected to raise the issue of termination of the US-South Korean military drills during the upcoming 2018 Winter Olympics, given that US President Donald Trump and South Korean leader Moon Jae-in made such decision during a phone call on Thursday in order to ensure the safety of the games.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3