Saudi Arabia arrests princes, ministers for corruption - UPDATED
Saudi Arabian authorities have arrested a number of high-profile figures, including princes and current and former ministers on anti-corruption charges, a Saudi television station reported late Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Dubai-based Saudi channel Al Arabiya reported that 11 princes, four current ministers and dozens of former ministers were among those who were detained.
Two ministers who were sacked from their post Saturday, and a woman, were also arrested, it said.
The report did not provide additional details.
The arrest orders came from an anti-corruption committee just hours after the King Salman issued a Royal Decree to form the committee.
The committee headed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, announced it would reopen the case of the 2009 Jeddah floods in which more than 100 victims died, and investigating the outbreak of the Corona virus, also known as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in 2012, according to Al Arabiya.
The state-run Saudi Press Agency (SPA) said Saturday the committee has been given the authority to investigate, arrest, ban from travel, disclose and freeze accounts and portfolios, track funds and assets of individuals involved in corruption.
“The committee has the right to take any precautionary measures it sees, until they are referred to the investigating authorities or judicial bodies. It may take whatever measures deemed necessary to deal with those involved in public corruption cases and take what it considers to be the right of persons, entities, funds, fixed and movable assets, at home and abroad, return funds to the state treasury and register property and assets in the name of state property,” the decree said, according to SPA.
SPA also reported Saudi Economy and Planning Minister Adel bin Mohammed Faqih and National Guard Minister Prince Miteb bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz were sacked.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- 26.04.2018South Korea's Moon to meet North Korea's Kim at border for summit
- 25.04.2018Rouhani: US sets eyes on Arabian black gold reserves, bank accounts
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 05.11.2017Russian bombers strike IS facilities in Syria
- 05.11.2017Dozens killed, injured in Syria refugee camp blast - SANA
- 05.11.2017Trump arrives in Japan, first in five-country Asian tour
- 04.11.2017PKK supporters clash with German police; 5 arrested - VIDEO
- 04.11.2017Two dead in Philippines prison riot
- 04.11.2017North Korea calls for a halt to 'brutal' sanctions