Saudi Arabia arrests princes, ministers for corruption - UPDATED
Saudi Arabian authorities have arrested a number of high-profile figures, including princes and current and former ministers on anti-corruption charges, a Saudi television station reported late Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Dubai-based Saudi channel Al Arabiya reported that 11 princes, four current ministers and dozens of former ministers were among those who were detained.
Two ministers who were sacked from their post Saturday, and a woman, were also arrested, it said.
The report did not provide additional details.
The arrest orders came from an anti-corruption committee just hours after the King Salman issued a Royal Decree to form the committee.
The committee headed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, announced it would reopen the case of the 2009 Jeddah floods in which more than 100 victims died, and investigating the outbreak of the Corona virus, also known as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in 2012, according to Al Arabiya.
The state-run Saudi Press Agency (SPA) said Saturday the committee has been given the authority to investigate, arrest, ban from travel, disclose and freeze accounts and portfolios, track funds and assets of individuals involved in corruption.
“The committee has the right to take any precautionary measures it sees, until they are referred to the investigating authorities or judicial bodies. It may take whatever measures deemed necessary to deal with those involved in public corruption cases and take what it considers to be the right of persons, entities, funds, fixed and movable assets, at home and abroad, return funds to the state treasury and register property and assets in the name of state property,” the decree said, according to SPA.
SPA also reported Saudi Economy and Planning Minister Adel bin Mohammed Faqih and National Guard Minister Prince Miteb bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz were sacked.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 05.11.2017Russian bombers strike IS facilities in Syria
- 05.11.2017Dozens killed, injured in Syria refugee camp blast - SANA
- 05.11.2017Trump arrives in Japan, first in five-country Asian tour
- 04.11.2017PKK supporters clash with German police; 5 arrested - VIDEO
- 04.11.2017Two dead in Philippines prison riot
- 04.11.2017North Korea calls for a halt to 'brutal' sanctions