Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry
The Russian Air forces eliminated two top Islamic State (IS) field commanders and some 180 terrorists during airstrikes in Syria in early June, the Russian Defense Ministry said Saturday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Based on disclosures by their unmanned aerial vehicles, the Russian troops in Syria carried out strikes on IS militants and thwarted the terrorist group's planned sortie against the defense lines of the Syrian government forces in the city of Deir ez-Zor, according to a statement of the ministry.
"The preemptive airstrikes, which the Russian Aerospace Forces carried out on the sites of ISIL facilities on June 6 and June 8, killed ISIL field commanders Abu Omar al-Baljiki and Abu Yassin al-Masri" Russia's Interfax news agency cited the ministry's statement as saying, using another acronym of the terrorist group.
In addition, a total of 180 IS militants were also killed, and 16 automotive and armored vehicles and tanks, one artillery, four control posts and an ammunition storage depot were destroyed as a result of the strikes, the statement said.
The Defense Ministry said Friday that an airstrike it carried out in northern Syria on May 28 might have killed IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. So far, no official confirmation of it has been released.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018Turkmenistan to go to polls on Sunday
- 25.03.2018More than 260 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 24.03.2018Explosion in Afghan capital reportedly kills 1, injures 9
- 24.03.2018Car bomb rips through crowd at Afghan wrestling match
- 24.03.2018Seoul says North Korea agrees to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on March 29
- 24.03.2018China's Liu He says China ready to defend its interests in trade spat with U.S.
- 23.03.2018Yemen’s Houthis claim to fire missile into Saudi Arabia
- 23.03.2018Luxury tenement fire in Vietnam' HCM City kills 13
- 23.03.2018Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey - UPDATED
- 22.03.2018Military training aircraft crashes in central Turkey
- 22.03.2018Turkey, Free Syrian Army clear 4 more villages in Afrin
- 20.03.2018Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 18.06.201717 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
- 18.06.2017500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan