Russian, North Korean Top Diplomats Hold Talks in Pyongyang
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov met his North Korean counterpart Ri Yong Ho for talks on Thursday as part of the Russian diplomat’s visit to the reclusive Communist state, a Sputnik correspondent said, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The ministers are expected to discuss bilateral relations, as well as Korean reconciliation and nuclear issues, ahead of US President Donald Trump’s anticipated June summit with the North’s Kim Jong Un in Singapore.
The Sputnik reporter said only a handful of photo correspondents and TV crews were allowed to cover the start of the negotiations. The two diplomats began by shaking hands with each other and having a hearty exchange.
The North Korean foreign minister congratulated Lavrov on the recent formation of a new government in Russia following the March presidential election, and wished good luck ahead of next month's FIFA World Cup, which Russia will host through July 15.
Earlier, Sergey Lavrov placed flowers on Thursday at a memorial to North Korea’s leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il during his trip to the communist state. The ceremony on Mansu Hill was also attended by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Igor Morgulov and Ambassador Alexander Matsegora.
Lavrov landed in Pyongyang early in the morning for talks with his North Korean counterpart, more than a month after their meeting in Moscow.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2018Indonesia: 3 civiliians killed in separatist attack
- 25.06.2018Abbas Ready to Meet Netanyahu in Moscow - Palestinian Ambassador
- 25.06.2018Elections in Turkey held in compliance with int’l standards: TURKPA
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 31.05.2018Putin and Netanyahu discuss Syrian peace settlement
- 31.05.20182 PKK terrorists neutralized in northeast Turkey
- 01.06.2018DPRK and Russia agreed to hold meeting this year
- 31.05.2018Iran asks OPEC support amid US sanctions
- 29.05.2018Senior North Korea envoy to hold talks in U.S. about summit
- 29.05.2018Plane crash in Iran kills 2, injures 1