Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
President Hassan Rouhani has an unassailable lead in Iran's presidential election, an Iranian official source told Reuters on Saturday, citing an early unofficial tally, and is on course to defeat his hardline rival Ebrahim Raisi, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"It's over, Rouhani is the winner," the source said on condition of anonymity.
Rouhani had won 21.6 million votes, compared to 14 million for Raisi, with 37 million votes counted, the source added. There were about four million more votes still to be tallied, the source said.
More than 40 million ballots were cast, the interior ministry said, indicating a turnout of about 70 percent in Friday's vote, roughly similar to the showing in 2013 elections when Rouhani swept into office in a landslide victory
State television said the official early results would be announced soon.
The Instagram account of Rouhani ally, former president Mohammad Khatami, showed a picture of Rouhani making a victory sign and ran the slogan "Hope prevailed over isolation".
Rouhani's chief of staff Hamid Aboutalebi tweeted that Rouhani had won 60 percent of the vote. He cited no evidence.
The big turnout appeared to have favored Rouhani, whose backers' main worry has been apathy among reformist-leaning voters disappointed with the slow pace of change.
Rouhani, 68, who took office promising to open Iran to the world and give its citizens more freedom at home, faced an unexpectedly strong challenge from Raisi, a protege of supreme leader Ali Khamenei.
The election is important "for Iran's future role in the region and the world", Rouhani, who struck a deal with world powers two years ago to curb Iran's nuclear program in return for the lifting of most economic sanctions, said after voting.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 05.03.2018'More than 40 militants' killed in Afghanistan
- 05.03.2018Papua New Guinea quake kills 80 people
- 04.03.2018N. Korea warns U.S. not to misjudge intention for talks
- 03.03.2018Saudi Arabia holds first-ever marathon for women
- 03.03.2018Turkish female troops provide backup in Afrin operation
- 03.03.2018North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills
- 03.03.2018Three Australians die, more sick in listeria outbreak tied to melons
- 02.03.2018Saudi Arabia lifts 35-year-long ban on cinemas
- 02.03.2018South Korea plans to send envoy to North Korea soon
- 02.03.20188 Turkish soldiers martyred, 13 wounded in Afrin
- 02.03.2018Iran detains 35 women for going to football match
- 02.03.2018IED blast kills 2 in Afghanistan
- 01.03.2018Iran urges political solution to Yemen, Syria crises
- 01.03.2018Passenger plane makes emergency landing in Kyrgyzstan
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election