Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
President Hassan Rouhani has an unassailable lead in Iran's presidential election, an Iranian official source told Reuters on Saturday, citing an early unofficial tally, and is on course to defeat his hardline rival Ebrahim Raisi, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"It's over, Rouhani is the winner," the source said on condition of anonymity.
Rouhani had won 21.6 million votes, compared to 14 million for Raisi, with 37 million votes counted, the source added. There were about four million more votes still to be tallied, the source said.
More than 40 million ballots were cast, the interior ministry said, indicating a turnout of about 70 percent in Friday's vote, roughly similar to the showing in 2013 elections when Rouhani swept into office in a landslide victory
State television said the official early results would be announced soon.
The Instagram account of Rouhani ally, former president Mohammad Khatami, showed a picture of Rouhani making a victory sign and ran the slogan "Hope prevailed over isolation".
Rouhani's chief of staff Hamid Aboutalebi tweeted that Rouhani had won 60 percent of the vote. He cited no evidence.
The big turnout appeared to have favored Rouhani, whose backers' main worry has been apathy among reformist-leaning voters disappointed with the slow pace of change.
Rouhani, 68, who took office promising to open Iran to the world and give its citizens more freedom at home, faced an unexpectedly strong challenge from Raisi, a protege of supreme leader Ali Khamenei.
The election is important "for Iran's future role in the region and the world", Rouhani, who struck a deal with world powers two years ago to curb Iran's nuclear program in return for the lifting of most economic sanctions, said after voting.
Related news releases
- 25.07.20179 PKK terrorists killed in Iraq says Turkish military
- 25.07.2017IRGC says neutralized US Navy provocative move in Persian Gulf - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Israel to replace metal detectors in Jerusalem with smart surveillance
- 25.07.2017Israeli embassy staff in Jordan returned to Israel
- 25.07.2017UN to investigate civilian killings in Afghanistan
- 24.07.2017Israel cites self-defense in Amman embassy shooting
- 24.07.2017Russian, Qatari top diplomats discuss Gulf crisis
- 23.07.2017Dozens of IS militants killed in air raid: Iraqi forces
- 23.07.2017North Korea says South will pay 'Harshest' price for challenging missile tests
- 23.07.20177 killed, 2 injured in Guangzhou tower crane collapse
- 23.07.2017Iran seizes Saudi vessel in Persian Gulf, arrests crew
- 22.07.2017Iran announces new missile production line
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election