Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
President Hassan Rouhani has an unassailable lead in Iran's presidential election, an Iranian official source told Reuters on Saturday, citing an early unofficial tally, and is on course to defeat his hardline rival Ebrahim Raisi, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"It's over, Rouhani is the winner," the source said on condition of anonymity.
Rouhani had won 21.6 million votes, compared to 14 million for Raisi, with 37 million votes counted, the source added. There were about four million more votes still to be tallied, the source said.
More than 40 million ballots were cast, the interior ministry said, indicating a turnout of about 70 percent in Friday's vote, roughly similar to the showing in 2013 elections when Rouhani swept into office in a landslide victory
State television said the official early results would be announced soon.
The Instagram account of Rouhani ally, former president Mohammad Khatami, showed a picture of Rouhani making a victory sign and ran the slogan "Hope prevailed over isolation".
Rouhani's chief of staff Hamid Aboutalebi tweeted that Rouhani had won 60 percent of the vote. He cited no evidence.
The big turnout appeared to have favored Rouhani, whose backers' main worry has been apathy among reformist-leaning voters disappointed with the slow pace of change.
Rouhani, 68, who took office promising to open Iran to the world and give its citizens more freedom at home, faced an unexpectedly strong challenge from Raisi, a protege of supreme leader Ali Khamenei.
The election is important "for Iran's future role in the region and the world", Rouhani, who struck a deal with world powers two years ago to curb Iran's nuclear program in return for the lifting of most economic sanctions, said after voting.
Related news releases
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 13.05.2018Serial explosions occur in Indonesia, at least two killed, over a dozen injured
- 12.05.2018North Korea details plans to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018North Korea announces nuclear test site dismantling ceremony for May
- 12.05.2018Explosion damages vessel carrying wheat to Yemen
- 12.05.2018Israel to Assad: Get rid of your Iranian allies, they will harm you
- 12.05.2018Israeli gunfire kills Palestinian as border protest builds to climax
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election