Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
President Hassan Rouhani has an unassailable lead in Iran's presidential election, an Iranian official source told Reuters on Saturday, citing an early unofficial tally, and is on course to defeat his hardline rival Ebrahim Raisi, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"It's over, Rouhani is the winner," the source said on condition of anonymity.
Rouhani had won 21.6 million votes, compared to 14 million for Raisi, with 37 million votes counted, the source added. There were about four million more votes still to be tallied, the source said.
More than 40 million ballots were cast, the interior ministry said, indicating a turnout of about 70 percent in Friday's vote, roughly similar to the showing in 2013 elections when Rouhani swept into office in a landslide victory
State television said the official early results would be announced soon.
The Instagram account of Rouhani ally, former president Mohammad Khatami, showed a picture of Rouhani making a victory sign and ran the slogan "Hope prevailed over isolation".
Rouhani's chief of staff Hamid Aboutalebi tweeted that Rouhani had won 60 percent of the vote. He cited no evidence.
The big turnout appeared to have favored Rouhani, whose backers' main worry has been apathy among reformist-leaning voters disappointed with the slow pace of change.
Rouhani, 68, who took office promising to open Iran to the world and give its citizens more freedom at home, faced an unexpectedly strong challenge from Raisi, a protege of supreme leader Ali Khamenei.
The election is important "for Iran's future role in the region and the world", Rouhani, who struck a deal with world powers two years ago to curb Iran's nuclear program in return for the lifting of most economic sanctions, said after voting.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Over 90 people dead, 110 missing as heavy floods hit Sri Lanka
- 27.05.201720 Houthi rebels killed in southern Yemen
- 26.05.2017Roadside bomb claims 10 civilians in Afghanistan
- 26.05.2017Philippine president urges IS-linked rebels to halt siege, start talks
- 26.05.2017OPEC cuts extension encourages oil bulls amid Asian supply-side concerns
- 26.05.2017China to build global navigation satellite system by 2020
- 25.05.2017Manila deploys commandoes, helicopters to retake city from rebels
- 25.05.2017105 civilians killed in US airstrike in Mosul
- 25.05.2017Nepalese PM resigns ahead of final round of local polls
- 24.05.2017Suspected suicide bombers kill 3 police officers, wound 10 in Jakarta - UPDATED
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 18.05.2017ISIL attacks Syrian Deir ez-Zor with rockets, kill 3 civilians
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election