Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
President Hassan Rouhani has an unassailable lead in Iran's presidential election, an Iranian official source told Reuters on Saturday, citing an early unofficial tally, and is on course to defeat his hardline rival Ebrahim Raisi, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"It's over, Rouhani is the winner," the source said on condition of anonymity.
Rouhani had won 21.6 million votes, compared to 14 million for Raisi, with 37 million votes counted, the source added. There were about four million more votes still to be tallied, the source said.
More than 40 million ballots were cast, the interior ministry said, indicating a turnout of about 70 percent in Friday's vote, roughly similar to the showing in 2013 elections when Rouhani swept into office in a landslide victory
State television said the official early results would be announced soon.
The Instagram account of Rouhani ally, former president Mohammad Khatami, showed a picture of Rouhani making a victory sign and ran the slogan "Hope prevailed over isolation".
Rouhani's chief of staff Hamid Aboutalebi tweeted that Rouhani had won 60 percent of the vote. He cited no evidence.
The big turnout appeared to have favored Rouhani, whose backers' main worry has been apathy among reformist-leaning voters disappointed with the slow pace of change.
Rouhani, 68, who took office promising to open Iran to the world and give its citizens more freedom at home, faced an unexpectedly strong challenge from Raisi, a protege of supreme leader Ali Khamenei.
The election is important "for Iran's future role in the region and the world", Rouhani, who struck a deal with world powers two years ago to curb Iran's nuclear program in return for the lifting of most economic sanctions, said after voting.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump
- 11.11.2017Jordan, Russia, US agree on de-escalation zone in Syria
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election