Qatar's emir seals purchase of Greek private island: local mayor
Baku-APA. Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani purchased a small private island in the Ionian Sea in western Greece and is interested in the acquisition of five more nearby islets, Greek media reported on Monday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
In statements to local media, Mayor of the neighboring island of Ithaka Yannis Kassianos confirmed the sale of Oxia, an uninhabited island of about 4,200 acres from the previous Greek-Australian owners for 4.9 million euros (6.37 million U.S. dollars).
In addition, according to Kassianos, the Emir has already made an offer of about 3.5 million euros (4.55 million dollars) for the purchase of five more islets of a total of 1,600 acres located in the same area which belong to the administration of Ithaka and plegded to support a project to bring water from the mainland to Ithaka.
Due to the increases in property taxes as part of efforts to resolve the Greek debt crisis since 2010, Greek wealthy families who own small private islands for decades, have decided to put them on the market.
Beyond the interest in the purchase of private islets, the royal family of Qatar and the country's investment authority have expressed interest in several investment opportunities in debt-laden Greece over the past two years, such as the sale of public real estate properties under the Greek privatization program.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 09.02.20188 killed, 3 missing in south China road collapse
- 09.02.2018Islamic State begins to earn money through online casinos
- 08.02.2018Airstrikes kill 54 civilians in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta
- 05.03.2013Dragon boats make big splash across Australia
- 05.03.201312 militiamen killed in booby-trapped car blast in Yemen's south
- 05.03.2013Nine dozen Aleppo Armenians kidnapped within a year
- 05.03.2013IAEA hints Iran should not use framework document to block access to parchin site
- 05.03.201348 Syrian soldiers killed in Iraq ambush
- 04.03.2013Up to 35 Syrian soldiers, 4 Iraqi soldiers killed in western Iraq