Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat
A week after accusing the CIA and the South Korean National Intelligence Service of a sinister plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, a North Korean diplomat reiterated Thursday that “terrorists were recently detected” in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
“The terrorists were infiltrated by the CIA of the US and the puppet National Intelligence Service of South Korea in a bid to commit state-sponsored terrorism against the supreme leadership of the DPRK by use of a biochemical substance,” Vice Foreign Minister Han Song-ryol was quoted as saying by KCNA.
Pyongyang will hence make a “principled stand” in order to “find out all of the terrorist maniacs and mercilessly wipe them out,” Han said. According to his account, such terrorists include the “plot-breeding centers” and “dens of evil” that are the CIA and NIS.
Han also said the North Korean prosecutor’s office would be making a request “for a handover of the criminals” who hatched the plot “and prosecute them under the relevant laws,” according to a Xinhua report.
Han reportedly spoke in front of a group of foreign envoys, but the details of who attended the meeting were not revealed, according to Yonhap.
Yonhap assessed that the KCNA threats are little more than an attempt to galvanize domestic support, “in a bid to bolster their allegiance to the leadership.”
On May 5, the North said that a “Korean-style anti-terrorist attack will be commenced from this moment to sweep away the intelligence and plot-breeding organizations of the US imperialists and puppet clique.” These operations will “begin immediately,” KCNA reported at the time.
The NIS rejects the North’s accusations of conspiracy. For the CIA’s part, on Wednesday the intelligence service announced the opening of the Korean Mission Center to integrate efforts “against the North Korea target,” the agency said in an announcement. Specifically, the Mission Center will work to counter North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
- 11.05.2017New South Korean president Moon Jae-in unlikely to shake up foreign policy
- 11.05.2017Assassination attempt of Iraqi health minister foiled
- 11.05.201725 dead after a wedding hall collapses in India