Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat
A week after accusing the CIA and the South Korean National Intelligence Service of a sinister plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, a North Korean diplomat reiterated Thursday that “terrorists were recently detected” in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
“The terrorists were infiltrated by the CIA of the US and the puppet National Intelligence Service of South Korea in a bid to commit state-sponsored terrorism against the supreme leadership of the DPRK by use of a biochemical substance,” Vice Foreign Minister Han Song-ryol was quoted as saying by KCNA.
Pyongyang will hence make a “principled stand” in order to “find out all of the terrorist maniacs and mercilessly wipe them out,” Han said. According to his account, such terrorists include the “plot-breeding centers” and “dens of evil” that are the CIA and NIS.
Han also said the North Korean prosecutor’s office would be making a request “for a handover of the criminals” who hatched the plot “and prosecute them under the relevant laws,” according to a Xinhua report.
Han reportedly spoke in front of a group of foreign envoys, but the details of who attended the meeting were not revealed, according to Yonhap.
Yonhap assessed that the KCNA threats are little more than an attempt to galvanize domestic support, “in a bid to bolster their allegiance to the leadership.”
On May 5, the North said that a “Korean-style anti-terrorist attack will be commenced from this moment to sweep away the intelligence and plot-breeding organizations of the US imperialists and puppet clique.” These operations will “begin immediately,” KCNA reported at the time.
The NIS rejects the North’s accusations of conspiracy. For the CIA’s part, on Wednesday the intelligence service announced the opening of the Korean Mission Center to integrate efforts “against the North Korea target,” the agency said in an announcement. Specifically, the Mission Center will work to counter North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
Related news releases
- 25.07.20179 PKK terrorists killed in Iraq says Turkish military
- 25.07.2017IRGC says neutralized US Navy provocative move in Persian Gulf - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Israel to replace metal detectors in Jerusalem with smart surveillance
- 25.07.2017Israeli embassy staff in Jordan returned to Israel
- 25.07.2017UN to investigate civilian killings in Afghanistan
- 24.07.2017Israel cites self-defense in Amman embassy shooting
- 24.07.2017Russian, Qatari top diplomats discuss Gulf crisis
- 23.07.2017Dozens of IS militants killed in air raid: Iraqi forces
- 23.07.2017North Korea says South will pay 'Harshest' price for challenging missile tests
- 23.07.20177 killed, 2 injured in Guangzhou tower crane collapse
- 23.07.2017Iran seizes Saudi vessel in Persian Gulf, arrests crew
- 22.07.2017Iran announces new missile production line
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
- 11.05.2017New South Korean president Moon Jae-in unlikely to shake up foreign policy
- 11.05.2017Assassination attempt of Iraqi health minister foiled
- 11.05.201725 dead after a wedding hall collapses in India