North Korea accepts January 9 talks offer from South Korea
DPRK has accepted South Korea's offer to hold high-level talks on January 9 to discuss Pyongyang's possible participation in the upcoming Winter Olympics and other issues of mutual interest, South Korea's Ministry of Unification said, APA reports citing Yonhap news agency.
"North Korea this morning faxed a message to our side, saying it accepts the South's proposal for talks on January 9," a South Korean unification ministry official was quoted as saying by AFP.
Earlier, South Korea's Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon proposed to conduct high-level talks at a demilitarized zone in the village of Panmunjom to discuss the North’s participation in February’s Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
"The two sides decided to discuss working-level issues by exchanging documents," South Korean unification ministry spokesman Baik Tae-hyun was quoted as saying by the Yonhap news agency at a press briefing.
The unification ministry spokesman added negotiators were also going to discuss ways of improving the relationship between the two Koreas.
On Wednesday, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un approved reopening contacts with Seoul regarding the upcoming Olympic games a day after South Korea proposed to hold high-level talks with Pyongyang
US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said on Tuesday that the United States would not endorse any talks that do not result in the ban of all nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 04.01.2018Russia says two military personnel killed in Hmeymim airbase shelling on December 31
- 04.01.2018Iran officers killed by 'anti-revolutionaries': Report
- 04.01.2018European linked to Iran protests arrested
- 04.01.2018Yemen's Houthis release ex-president Saleh’s spokesman
- 04.01.2018Israeli death penalty advocates win preliminary vote in parliament
- 03.01.2018Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps: Riot of year failed
- 03.01.2018SEPAH: Those creating trouble in Iran to face strict punishment
- 03.01.2018Processions held against riots in different cities of Iran
- 03.01.2018Turkish president stresses on peace, stability in Iran
- 03.01.2018North Korea to reopen border hotline with South
- 03.01.20187 FETO suspects held in northwestern Turkey
- 05.01.2018UN experts urge Iran to respect rights of protesters, end internet crackdown
- 05.01.2018North Korea agrees to talks after U.S., South Korea postpone military drills
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.01.2018Storm causes severe power outages in thousands of homes in New Zealand
- 05.01.2018Suicide attack kills 10 in Afghan capital
- 04.01.2018Envoy slams US attempts to intervene in Iran’s domestic affairs