Polls close in Iran presidential election
Vote counting is expected to start in the Islamic Republic of Iran after polls closed in a presidential election that saw four candidates, including incumbent Hassan Rouhani, competing for the post, APA reports quoting presstv.
The polls closed at 24:00 local time (1930 GMT) on Friday after voting hours were extended several times. More than 56 million people were eligible to vote in the election. Preliminary results are expected to trickle in throughout the next hours.
The main competition was between Rouhani and Hojjatoleslam Seyyed Ebrahim Raeisi, who is the current custodian of the Holy Shrine of Imam Reza (PBUH) in the northeastern Iranian city of Mashhad.
This year’s presidential race also featured two low-key contenders - former deputy judiciary chief and member of Iran’s Expediency Council Mostafa Aqa-Mirsalim, and former vice president, Mostafa Hashemi-Taba.
Two more candidates, Tehran Mayor Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf and Vice President Es’haq Jahangiri, dropped out of the race on Monday and Tuesday, respectively.
Qalibaf withdrew candidacy in favor of Raeisi and Jahangiri pulled out in favor of Rouhani.
Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who cast his vote immediately after the polls opened, said, "Everyone should vote in this important election."
The 5th Islamic City and Village Council Elections were also held across Tehran on Friday.
The competition in Tehran was between reformist candidates campaigning under the slogan of “Hope”, who had aligned themselves with Rouhani, and Principlists who make up the majority in the Islamic City Council of Tehran.
Mohsen Hashemi, the son of the late Chairman of the Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, was the main figure of the Hope list.
The principlist list was led by Mehdi Chamran, the current chairman of the Council.
Any group that wins most seats in the 21-member council can decide who will be Tehran’s next mayor.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 14.07.2017China's most prominent dissident dies
- 14.07.2017Heavy rain kills 2 in Guangxi, strands 9,000 air passengers in Sichuan
- 13.07.2017Turkish forces kill 8 PKK terrorists in southeast
- 13.07.2017Oil prices dip as OPEC expects less demand for its crude
- 13.07.2017Suicide bomber kills and injures scores in Syria's Idlib province
- 13.07.2017US Geological Survey detects 5.8 magnitude earthquake off South Korea coast
- 13.07.2017Top U.S. diplomat ends talks in Gulf; no sign Qatar crisis resolved
- 12.07.2017Saudi crown prince discusses defense ties with Turkish minister
- 12.07.2017Russia's Lavrov: show me at least one fact Moscow meddled in U.S. election
- 12.07.2017Trillion ton iceberg breaks away from Antarctic shelf
- 12.07.2017Taliban gunmen kill 7 in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2017S. Korea, US, Japan military officials agree to put maximum pressure on N. Korea
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India