Plane crash reported in southern Turkey
A plane has allegedly crashed in Turkey's southern Hatay province, but no wreckage has been found yet, according to the local governor, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Governor of Hatay province Erdal Ata said he had received reports claiming a plane crash near the village of Yaylacik in central Antakya.
"We think the plane belongs to Syria," Ata said, confirming no Turkish Armed Forces nor civil aviation flight was scheduled in the area.
The governor also said the plane may have crashed on Syrian land.
Meanwhile, the Syrian opposition has told Anadolu Agency that they shot down a plane belonging to the regime.
The plane was allegedly bombing Idlib province in northern Syria when it was shot down by the opposition forces, said group spokesman of Ahrar al-Sham Ahmed Karaali.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim also confirmed that a crash was reported.
"Reportedly, a Syrian regime plane crashed around Hatay's Samandag Yaylacik region," he said
Yildirim said it was not clear yet whether the plane crashed on Turkish or Syrian soil.
Search and rescue operations were initiated in the region, the governor added.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2017Senior Hamas leader shot dead in Gaza
- 25.03.201710 dead in central China mine accidents
- 25.03.2017Iran criticizes renewal of UN special rapporteur's mission: spokesman
- 25.03.2017Russian, U.S. defense officials discuss air safety over Syria
- 24.03.2017Bomber blows himself up near Bangladesh's principal airport in Dhaka
- 24.03.2017Turkey announces North Korea-related asset freeze
- 24.03.2017Italy deports 25th extremist since beginning of 2017
- 23.03.2017Next step against İSİS is Raqqah offensive
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 19.03.2017North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen
- 17.03.2017Houthis 'kill 22 soldiers' in Yemen attack
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India
- 16.03.2017US seeking ‘serious’ Mideast talks: Palestinian FM
- 16.03.2017Car bomb attack kills at least 4 in Tikrit, Iraq
- 15.03.2017Explosion hits Palace of Justice in Damascus, multiple casualties reported
- 15.03.201790% of Mosul Retaken from Daesh - Police Chief
- 14.03.2017Two killed in fireworks blaze in central Israel
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 14.03.2017Syrian war monitor says 465,000 killed in six years of fighting
- 13.03.201728 Houthis killed in shelling, airstrikes: Yemeni army
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 11.03.2017Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan
- 11.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office; two die in protest
- 10.03.2017Seven PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey
- 10.03.2017Tehran welcomes Chinese offer to mediate with Riyadh
- 10.03.2017South Korean court throws president out of office, two dead in protest
- 10.03.2017Impeachment of South Korean president approved by constitutional court
- 05.03.2017Jordan executes 15 prisoners, 10 convicted of terrorism
- 05.03.2017Bahrain discovers terrorist cell of 54 members
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria
- 04.03.2017Malaysia expels North Korean ambassador
- 04.03.2017Iran arrests 9 in UAE boats for trespassing
- 04.03.2017Iran test-fires S300 air-defense system