Plane crash reported in southern Turkey
A plane has allegedly crashed in Turkey's southern Hatay province, but no wreckage has been found yet, according to the local governor, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Governor of Hatay province Erdal Ata said he had received reports claiming a plane crash near the village of Yaylacik in central Antakya.
"We think the plane belongs to Syria," Ata said, confirming no Turkish Armed Forces nor civil aviation flight was scheduled in the area.
The governor also said the plane may have crashed on Syrian land.
Meanwhile, the Syrian opposition has told Anadolu Agency that they shot down a plane belonging to the regime.
The plane was allegedly bombing Idlib province in northern Syria when it was shot down by the opposition forces, said group spokesman of Ahrar al-Sham Ahmed Karaali.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim also confirmed that a crash was reported.
"Reportedly, a Syrian regime plane crashed around Hatay's Samandag Yaylacik region," he said
Yildirim said it was not clear yet whether the plane crashed on Turkish or Syrian soil.
Search and rescue operations were initiated in the region, the governor added.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination
- 20.10.2017North Korea says to continue nuclear tests
- 20.10.20171 police dies, 4 injured in northern Iraq attack
- 19.10.2017Erbil says ready to hold talks with Baghdad
- 19.10.2017Turkish jets kill 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.10.2017North Korea warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike
- 19.10.2017Taliban insurgents kill at least 40 soldiers in Afghanistan
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 11.10.2017UN gearing up for heavy influx of Rohingya Muslim refugees
- 11.10.2017Pyongyang: CIA tried to assassinate Kim Jong-un with biochemical weapon
- 10.10.2017Bangladesh: Top Jamaat-e-Islami leaders arrested
- 08.10.20172 Turkish guards martyred by PKK in Turkey's Diyarbakir
- 05.03.2017Jordan executes 15 prisoners, 10 convicted of terrorism
- 05.03.2017Bahrain discovers terrorist cell of 54 members
- 06.03.2017One more Russian serviceman reported dead in Syria
- 04.03.2017Malaysia expels North Korean ambassador
- 04.03.2017Iran arrests 9 in UAE boats for trespassing
- 04.03.2017Iran test-fires S300 air-defense system