PKK supporters clash with German police; 5 arrested - VIDEO
German police used tear gas to disperse crowds during a pro-PKK rally on Saturday in the the northern city of Dusseldorf, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The police interrupted the rally after supporters of the terrorist group PKK insisted on carrying banned symbols, including images of Abdullah Ocalan, the jailed PKK leader.
At least 5 protestors were arrested after they threw bottles, sticks and other objects to the police.
Dusseldorf police took stricter measures on Saturday, after Turkey criticized German authorities heavily last moth over a pro-PKK rally in the city of Cologne, where protesters carried banned symbols of the terrorist group.
The PKK was banned in Germany in 1993, following violent protests carried out by group members in the country.
In March this year, Germany’s federal interior ministry updated its list of prohibited symbols used by the PKK, and also included posters of Ocalan, which was used for the propaganda of the terrorist organization.
Mustafa Yeneroglu, a senior lawmaker of Turkey's ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party, has said that banning PKK symbols was not adequate enough.
“Ankara expects a full implementation of the PKK ban, that means prohibiting all activities of the terrorist organization, not only prohibiting its symbols,” he tweeted on Saturday.
Yeneroglu further called on German authorities to ban the PKK-affiliated organization NAV-DEM which organized recent pro-PKK rallies.
PKK's continued propaganda, recruitment, and fund-raising activities remain the main source of tensions between Turkey and its NATO partner Germany.
The terrorist group has nearly 14,000 followers among Germany’s Kurdish immigrant population, according to the German domestic intelligence agency BfV.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization also by the U.S. and the EU -- resumed its armed campaign in July 2015.
Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of some 1,200 Turkish security personnel and civilians, including a number of women and children.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.11.2017Saudi Arabia arrests princes, ministers for corruption - UPDATED
- 05.11.2017Russian bombers strike IS facilities in Syria
- 05.11.2017Dozens killed, injured in Syria refugee camp blast - SANA
- 04.11.2017Two dead in Philippines prison riot
- 04.11.2017North Korea calls for a halt to 'brutal' sanctions
- 03.11.2017Eight border guards killed in northwest Iran clashes with terrorists