PKK supporters clash with German police; 5 arrested - VIDEO
German police used tear gas to disperse crowds during a pro-PKK rally on Saturday in the the northern city of Dusseldorf, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The police interrupted the rally after supporters of the terrorist group PKK insisted on carrying banned symbols, including images of Abdullah Ocalan, the jailed PKK leader.
At least 5 protestors were arrested after they threw bottles, sticks and other objects to the police.
Dusseldorf police took stricter measures on Saturday, after Turkey criticized German authorities heavily last moth over a pro-PKK rally in the city of Cologne, where protesters carried banned symbols of the terrorist group.
The PKK was banned in Germany in 1993, following violent protests carried out by group members in the country.
In March this year, Germany’s federal interior ministry updated its list of prohibited symbols used by the PKK, and also included posters of Ocalan, which was used for the propaganda of the terrorist organization.
Mustafa Yeneroglu, a senior lawmaker of Turkey's ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party, has said that banning PKK symbols was not adequate enough.
“Ankara expects a full implementation of the PKK ban, that means prohibiting all activities of the terrorist organization, not only prohibiting its symbols,” he tweeted on Saturday.
Yeneroglu further called on German authorities to ban the PKK-affiliated organization NAV-DEM which organized recent pro-PKK rallies.
PKK's continued propaganda, recruitment, and fund-raising activities remain the main source of tensions between Turkey and its NATO partner Germany.
The terrorist group has nearly 14,000 followers among Germany’s Kurdish immigrant population, according to the German domestic intelligence agency BfV.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization also by the U.S. and the EU -- resumed its armed campaign in July 2015.
Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of some 1,200 Turkish security personnel and civilians, including a number of women and children.
Related news releases
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump
- 11.11.2017Jordan, Russia, US agree on de-escalation zone in Syria
- 11.11.2017Turkish court slaps 10 with jail terms over FETO links
- 11.11.2017IRGC warplane crashes in southern Iran - UPDATED
- 11.11.2017'No military solution to Syrian crisis’: Putin and Trump in joint statement
- 11.11.2017Saudi-Led coalition strikes Yemeni Mod after Houthis’ attack
- 11.11.2017Ex-Lebanon PM being ‘held’ by Saudi Arabia: Nasrallah
- 10.11.2017Abbas urges countries to recognize Palestine
- 09.11.2017Riyadh releases 7 detained in 'anti-corruption' sweep
- 09.11.2017Trump and Putin set to meet in Vietnam, Kremlin says
- 09.11.2017Pakistan: At least 24 killed in bus accident
- 09.11.2017Last Islamic State town in Syria falls to army: commander
- 05.11.2017Saudi Arabia arrests princes, ministers for corruption - UPDATED
- 05.11.2017Russian bombers strike IS facilities in Syria
- 05.11.2017Dozens killed, injured in Syria refugee camp blast - SANA
- 04.11.2017Two dead in Philippines prison riot
- 04.11.2017North Korea calls for a halt to 'brutal' sanctions
- 03.11.2017Eight border guards killed in northwest Iran clashes with terrorists