Philippines: Nine more militants killed in Marawi
Nine more militants were killed in clashes with government troops in Marawi city Sunday, weeks after Defense Chief Delfin Lorenzana declared an end to combat operations there, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Col. Romeo Brawner Jr., deputy commander of Joint Task Force Ranao, said Monday that one of the killed “stragglers” was Ibrahim Maute, alias Abu Jamil, a cousin of the Maute brothers who led the attack on the city.
Ongoing clearing operations by government troops led to fierce fighting with the militants from early dawn to late afternoon Sunday which resulted in the deaths of the terrorists, said Brawner.
“Thus, the military is warning the public that the main battle area is still off limits because of the danger posed by terrorist stragglers,” said Brawner as quoted by GMA News.
Police Chief Ronald Dela Rosa revealed earlier that Daesh had elected Malaysian terrorist bomb maker Amin Baco, believed to be still in Marawi’s main battle area, as its new leader in Southeast Asia – information downplayed by Lorenzana.
“This is not to belittle him, but he can no longer mass up that number of troops the way (the late Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon) Hapilon did,” Lorenzana said on the sidelines of celebrations at Camp Aguinaldo marking the Department of National Defense’s anniversary.
The military, however, maintains that Baco was killed in the clashes and that the group is now “leaderless and without direction”.
“Amin Baco is believed to have been among those killed in Marawi recently. Baco's remains are now the subject of an ongoing aggressive search,” said military spokesman Major-General Restituto Padilla.
Aside from Baco, the military was also looking for an Indonesian terrorist identified as Mahalan and Abdullah Hapilon, the son of slain former Daesh “emir” Hapilon, according to Western Mindanao Command commander Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr.
“I gave the direction to our ground commanders that once we get Amin Baco and Hapilon, we’ve already broken the chain of the Maute ISIS and the Abu Sayyaf in Mindanao,” Galvez said.
Over 300,000 residents of Marawi who fled the city when the Daesh-linked Abu Sayyaf and Maute groups launched an attack on May 23 are yet to return.
The clashes in the southern Philippine city prompted President Rodrigo Duterte to place all of the Mindanao islands under martial law, which is not set to expire until the year’s end.
Related news releases
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump
- 11.11.2017Jordan, Russia, US agree on de-escalation zone in Syria
- 11.11.2017Turkish court slaps 10 with jail terms over FETO links
- 11.11.2017IRGC warplane crashes in southern Iran - UPDATED
- 11.11.2017'No military solution to Syrian crisis’: Putin and Trump in joint statement
- 11.11.2017Saudi-Led coalition strikes Yemeni Mod after Houthis’ attack
- 11.11.2017Ex-Lebanon PM being ‘held’ by Saudi Arabia: Nasrallah
- 10.11.2017Abbas urges countries to recognize Palestine
- 09.11.2017Riyadh releases 7 detained in 'anti-corruption' sweep
- 09.11.2017Trump and Putin set to meet in Vietnam, Kremlin says
- 09.11.2017Pakistan: At least 24 killed in bus accident
- 09.11.2017Last Islamic State town in Syria falls to army: commander
- 04.08.2017ISIS commander sent IED parts to would-be plane bombers, Australian police says
- 05.08.2017Yemenis, Iranians sue U.S. State Dept, ask for visas to be processed
- 05.08.2017About 2,000 Islamic State fighters remain in Syrian city of Raqqa: U.S. envoy
- 04.08.2017NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan convoy attack: coalition
- 04.08.2017Large fire rips through Dubai's Torch Tower - VİDEO
- 04.08.2017Villagers killed in Myanmar's Rakhine state