Philippines forces kill 20 Abu Sayyaf terrorists
At least 20 Daesh-linked terrorists were killed after government security forces pounded their lair in the southern Philippines, the military said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Col. Juvymax Uy, commander of the Joint Task Force Basilan, confirmed the killing of 20 militants before dawn Thursday in combined airstrikes and indirect fire in far-flung areas in the town of Sumisip in the majority-Muslim province of Basilan in southern Mindanao.
"Heavy bloodstains were found in the vicinity where an improvised explosive went off, inflicting minor injuries on two of our soldiers," Uy said.
According to Uy, the Abu Sayyaf got a taste of the Philippine Airforce’s F/A 50 after the jet fighter delivered its deadly payload, inflicting immediate fatalities on the terrorists.
He said the airstrikes were immediately followed with artillery and mortar fire, inflicting additional casualties.
The military launched the operation following information from former Abu Sayyaf members and local residents regarding the group's temporary encampment in the area of Barangay (village) Pamatsaken.
Armed with intelligence reports from Abu Sayyaf surrenderees, the local populace and the local government units, the army brigade were able to track down the group’s temporary encampment, said Uy.
Just before dawn, operating troops managed to close with the temporary enemy's harbor in the village, believed to be harboring one of most-wanted Abu Sayyaf subleaders, Furuji Indama.
“Equipped with night fighting capabilities, our troops were able to inch within a hundred meters of the enemy under the cover of darkness,” Lt. Col. Andrew Bacala Jr, commanding officer of the 4th Special Forces Battalion, said in a text message.
According to Bacala, despite several improvised explosives laid by the bandits, the special forces managed to completely seize the encampment before 10 in the morning Thursday.
"Seizure of the site reveals makeshift tents capable of accommodating MOL 30-40 Abu Sayaff bandits across 150 meters of hilltop," he added.
The troops also recovered several foodstuffs and explosive components capable of making 30 IEDs. Three live IEDs were also recovered by Special Forces Demolition Specialists.
A firefight followed as Rangers from the 3rd Scout Ranger Battalion caught up with the fleeing bandits some 300 meters from the seized encampment.
“Our troops were able to cordon the enemy due to the accurate and timely indirect fires and close air support delivered by our Artillery and the Philippine Airforce,” Uy said.
Since 1991, the group -- armed with mostly improvised explosive devices, mortars and automatic rifles -- has carried out bombings, kidnappings, assassinations and extortion in a self-determined fight for an independent province in the Philippines.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.01.2018North Korea agrees to talks after U.S., South Korea postpone military drills
- 05.01.2018UN experts urge Iran to respect rights of protesters, end internet crackdown
- 05.01.2018North Korea accepts January 9 talks offer from South Korea
- 13.05.2017North Korea calls on UN member states to reconsider implementation of sanctions
- 13.05.2017Iranian Security Forces foil terror act plotted by Espionage group
- 14.05.2017North Korea launches presumed ballistic missile
- 12.05.2017Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam