Philippines forces kill 20 Abu Sayyaf terrorists
At least 20 Daesh-linked terrorists were killed after government security forces pounded their lair in the southern Philippines, the military said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Col. Juvymax Uy, commander of the Joint Task Force Basilan, confirmed the killing of 20 militants before dawn Thursday in combined airstrikes and indirect fire in far-flung areas in the town of Sumisip in the majority-Muslim province of Basilan in southern Mindanao.
"Heavy bloodstains were found in the vicinity where an improvised explosive went off, inflicting minor injuries on two of our soldiers," Uy said.
According to Uy, the Abu Sayyaf got a taste of the Philippine Airforce’s F/A 50 after the jet fighter delivered its deadly payload, inflicting immediate fatalities on the terrorists.
He said the airstrikes were immediately followed with artillery and mortar fire, inflicting additional casualties.
The military launched the operation following information from former Abu Sayyaf members and local residents regarding the group's temporary encampment in the area of Barangay (village) Pamatsaken.
Armed with intelligence reports from Abu Sayyaf surrenderees, the local populace and the local government units, the army brigade were able to track down the group’s temporary encampment, said Uy.
Just before dawn, operating troops managed to close with the temporary enemy's harbor in the village, believed to be harboring one of most-wanted Abu Sayyaf subleaders, Furuji Indama.
“Equipped with night fighting capabilities, our troops were able to inch within a hundred meters of the enemy under the cover of darkness,” Lt. Col. Andrew Bacala Jr, commanding officer of the 4th Special Forces Battalion, said in a text message.
According to Bacala, despite several improvised explosives laid by the bandits, the special forces managed to completely seize the encampment before 10 in the morning Thursday.
"Seizure of the site reveals makeshift tents capable of accommodating MOL 30-40 Abu Sayaff bandits across 150 meters of hilltop," he added.
The troops also recovered several foodstuffs and explosive components capable of making 30 IEDs. Three live IEDs were also recovered by Special Forces Demolition Specialists.
A firefight followed as Rangers from the 3rd Scout Ranger Battalion caught up with the fleeing bandits some 300 meters from the seized encampment.
“Our troops were able to cordon the enemy due to the accurate and timely indirect fires and close air support delivered by our Artillery and the Philippine Airforce,” Uy said.
Since 1991, the group -- armed with mostly improvised explosive devices, mortars and automatic rifles -- has carried out bombings, kidnappings, assassinations and extortion in a self-determined fight for an independent province in the Philippines.
Related news releases
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 13.09.2017Iraqi MPs call for crisis meeting on Kurd region poll
- 13.09.2017Five crew missing after dredger collides with tanker off Singapore
- 12.09.2017200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF
- 12.09.2017Airstrikes kill 14 terrorists in Kirkuk: Iraqi sources
- 11.09.2017Israel welcomes decision to pardon blogger Lapshin
- 10.09.2017First Summit on Science and Technology of Organization of Islamic Cooperation starts in Astana
- 10.09.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes nuclear scientists, holds celebration bash
- 10.09.2017Rohingya insurgents declare temporary ceasefire amid humanitarian crisis
- 10.09.2017North Korea 'secretly helped by Iran to gain nuclear weapons', British officials fear
- 10.09.2017US warplanes stop shadowing ISIL convoy at Russia’s request
- 10.09.2017Rouhani, Erdogan meet in Astana ahead of OIC summit
- 10.09.2017Policeman martyred in vehicle accident in Turkey's east
- 10.09.2017PKK attacker on Turkish opposition convoy identified
- 09.09.20177 PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey and Iraq's north
- 09.09.2017Deir ez-Zor: Syrian, Russian forces inflict biggest defeat on ISIL in 3 years
- 09.09.2017Pakistan summons Myanmar ambassador over Rohingya issue
- 08.09.2017Tehrani worshipers protest violence against Rohingya Muslims
- 08.09.2017Four influential ISIS warlords annihilated by Russian strike near Deir ez-Zor
- 07.09.2017Pakistan's anti-corruption agency to file criminal charges against ex-PM, finance minister
- 07.09.2017Road accidents leave 16 people dead in Iran in one day
- 13.05.2017North Korea calls on UN member states to reconsider implementation of sanctions
- 13.05.2017Iranian Security Forces foil terror act plotted by Espionage group
- 14.05.2017North Korea launches presumed ballistic missile
- 12.05.2017Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam