Philippines: 42 terrorists’ bodies recovered in Marawi
Up to 42 bodies of terrorists, including two women and foreign fighters, were recovered Monday following the final assault on the besieged city of Marawi, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
On Monday, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana declared southern Mindanao island’s Marawi City free from all militants and the end of combat operations, five months since the conflict between the military and Daesh-linked groups erupted in the area.
“They were all fighting against our troops, so they were terrorists," said Lorenzana as quoted by Rappler.
"No more hostages. All the hostages were recovered a couple days back," he added.
The military maintained that the women who were killed were wives of terrorists who had chosen to fight alongside their husbands
Though the body of Malaysian high-value terrorist Dr. Mahmud Bin Ahmad has not yet been identified, military chief General Eduardo Año said there was no way he could have escaped.
With the successful conclusion of “the most serious threat of violent extremism and radicalism in the Philippines and in Southeast Asia”, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the government can now focus its efforts on the rebuilding of the city and the lives of its people.
The Philippine government has allocated an initial PHP5 billion ($97 million) for the rehabilitation of Marawi which would be spent until the end of the year, said Kristoffer James Purisima, Deputy Administrator for Administration of the Office of Civil Defense.
Purisima said the bulk of the budget will go to relief operations and other support provided to more than 72,000 families displaced by the conflict, according to the state-run Philippine News Agency.
He noted that the allocation includes funds to build at least 1,100 transitional shelters within the year.
Over 300,000 residents of Marawi fled the city when the Daesh-linked Abu Sayyaf and Maute groups launched an attack on May 23 which prompted President Rodrigo Duterte to place all of the southern Philippines’ Mindanao islands under martial law which is not set to expire until the year’s end.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018Leaders of two Koreas meet at historic summit
- 27.04.2018Kim Jong-un departs from Pyongyang to attend inter-Korean summit - agency
- 26.04.2018Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- 26.04.2018South Korea's Moon to meet North Korea's Kim at border for summit
- 25.04.2018Rouhani: US sets eyes on Arabian black gold reserves, bank accounts
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 24.10.2017Oil prices inch up, support from drop in southern Iraq exports
- 24.10.2017IS terrorists control less than 5% of Syria’s territory — Russian defense minister
- 24.10.2017Diplomat: Iraq’s regain of power over Kirkuk has opened way to liberate other territories
- 24.10.2017Tillerson arrives in Iraq after rebuke from Baghdad over paramilitaries
- 23.10.2017Tillerson makes unannounced visit to Afghanistan
- 22.10.2017Super Typhoon Lan to make direct hit on Tokyo