Philippine military says Maute terror group leader dead
The Philippine military confirmed Tuesday that one of the leaders of the Maute terrorist group that laid siege to Marawi city is dead, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“We have four separate reports that indicate that Abdullah Maute is really dead,” Western Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. said in an interview with a local radio station.
Galvez said the military had also discovered tributes to “Abu Hassan” on social media, referring to Abdullah’s assigned name in Daesh.
Reports of Abdullah’s death surfaced last week, but the military kept mum, saying it had yet to obtain valid physical evidence to confirm it.
The clashes in Marawi erupted on May 23 when Philippine troops sought to arrest high-value Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon, the so-called emir of Daesh in Southeast Asia.
The long-drawn battle with government forces was led by Maute militants and the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group.
Galvez also confirmed that Abdullah’s brother, Omar Maute, remains in the battle zone but is wounded.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella also confirmed that Hapilon is alive and still in Marawi city fighting alongside the remaining militants.
"Our forces are hot on their heels, and it will only be a matter of time before we get him," Abella said during a press briefing last Sunday.
The battle in Marawi has created a humanitarian crisis with more than 200,000 residents displaced and 835 deaths, including 645 militants, 145 government troops and 45 civilians.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 05.09.2017Two Russian soldiers killed by shelling in Syria's Deir al-Zor province
- 05.09.2017ISESCO calls for deprivation of Myanmar leader of Nobel Peace Prize
- 05.09.2017Syrian army breaks 3-year IS siege to Deir al-Zour
- 05.09.2017Explosions rock Myanmar area near Bangladesh border amid Rohingya exodus
- 05.09.20173 Pakistani security personnel killed in terror attack
- 04.09.2017BRICS countries vow to fight terrorism, corruption