Philippine military says Maute terror group leader dead
The Philippine military confirmed Tuesday that one of the leaders of the Maute terrorist group that laid siege to Marawi city is dead, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“We have four separate reports that indicate that Abdullah Maute is really dead,” Western Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. said in an interview with a local radio station.
Galvez said the military had also discovered tributes to “Abu Hassan” on social media, referring to Abdullah’s assigned name in Daesh.
Reports of Abdullah’s death surfaced last week, but the military kept mum, saying it had yet to obtain valid physical evidence to confirm it.
The clashes in Marawi erupted on May 23 when Philippine troops sought to arrest high-value Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon, the so-called emir of Daesh in Southeast Asia.
The long-drawn battle with government forces was led by Maute militants and the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group.
Galvez also confirmed that Abdullah’s brother, Omar Maute, remains in the battle zone but is wounded.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella also confirmed that Hapilon is alive and still in Marawi city fighting alongside the remaining militants.
"Our forces are hot on their heels, and it will only be a matter of time before we get him," Abella said during a press briefing last Sunday.
The battle in Marawi has created a humanitarian crisis with more than 200,000 residents displaced and 835 deaths, including 645 militants, 145 government troops and 45 civilians.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 05.09.2017Two Russian soldiers killed by shelling in Syria's Deir al-Zor province
- 05.09.2017ISESCO calls for deprivation of Myanmar leader of Nobel Peace Prize
- 05.09.2017Syrian army breaks 3-year IS siege to Deir al-Zour
- 05.09.2017Explosions rock Myanmar area near Bangladesh border amid Rohingya exodus
- 05.09.20173 Pakistani security personnel killed in terror attack
- 04.09.2017BRICS countries vow to fight terrorism, corruption