Philippine military says Maute terror group leader dead
The Philippine military confirmed Tuesday that one of the leaders of the Maute terrorist group that laid siege to Marawi city is dead, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“We have four separate reports that indicate that Abdullah Maute is really dead,” Western Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. said in an interview with a local radio station.
Galvez said the military had also discovered tributes to “Abu Hassan” on social media, referring to Abdullah’s assigned name in Daesh.
Reports of Abdullah’s death surfaced last week, but the military kept mum, saying it had yet to obtain valid physical evidence to confirm it.
The clashes in Marawi erupted on May 23 when Philippine troops sought to arrest high-value Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon, the so-called emir of Daesh in Southeast Asia.
The long-drawn battle with government forces was led by Maute militants and the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group.
Galvez also confirmed that Abdullah’s brother, Omar Maute, remains in the battle zone but is wounded.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella also confirmed that Hapilon is alive and still in Marawi city fighting alongside the remaining militants.
"Our forces are hot on their heels, and it will only be a matter of time before we get him," Abella said during a press briefing last Sunday.
The battle in Marawi has created a humanitarian crisis with more than 200,000 residents displaced and 835 deaths, including 645 militants, 145 government troops and 45 civilians.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 13.09.2017Iraqi MPs call for crisis meeting on Kurd region poll
- 13.09.2017Five crew missing after dredger collides with tanker off Singapore
- 12.09.2017200,000 Rohingya children need urgent support: UNICEF
- 12.09.2017Airstrikes kill 14 terrorists in Kirkuk: Iraqi sources
- 11.09.2017Israel welcomes decision to pardon blogger Lapshin
- 10.09.2017First Summit on Science and Technology of Organization of Islamic Cooperation starts in Astana
- 10.09.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes nuclear scientists, holds celebration bash
- 10.09.2017Rohingya insurgents declare temporary ceasefire amid humanitarian crisis
- 10.09.2017North Korea 'secretly helped by Iran to gain nuclear weapons', British officials fear
- 10.09.2017US warplanes stop shadowing ISIL convoy at Russia’s request
- 10.09.2017Rouhani, Erdogan meet in Astana ahead of OIC summit
- 10.09.2017Policeman martyred in vehicle accident in Turkey's east
- 10.09.2017PKK attacker on Turkish opposition convoy identified
- 09.09.20177 PKK terrorists killed in SE Turkey and Iraq's north
- 05.09.2017Two Russian soldiers killed by shelling in Syria's Deir al-Zor province
- 05.09.2017ISESCO calls for deprivation of Myanmar leader of Nobel Peace Prize
- 05.09.2017Syrian army breaks 3-year IS siege to Deir al-Zour
- 05.09.2017Explosions rock Myanmar area near Bangladesh border amid Rohingya exodus
- 05.09.20173 Pakistani security personnel killed in terror attack
- 04.09.2017BRICS countries vow to fight terrorism, corruption