Philippine military says Maute terror group leader dead
The Philippine military confirmed Tuesday that one of the leaders of the Maute terrorist group that laid siege to Marawi city is dead, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“We have four separate reports that indicate that Abdullah Maute is really dead,” Western Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. said in an interview with a local radio station.
Galvez said the military had also discovered tributes to “Abu Hassan” on social media, referring to Abdullah’s assigned name in Daesh.
Reports of Abdullah’s death surfaced last week, but the military kept mum, saying it had yet to obtain valid physical evidence to confirm it.
The clashes in Marawi erupted on May 23 when Philippine troops sought to arrest high-value Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon, the so-called emir of Daesh in Southeast Asia.
The long-drawn battle with government forces was led by Maute militants and the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group.
Galvez also confirmed that Abdullah’s brother, Omar Maute, remains in the battle zone but is wounded.
Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella also confirmed that Hapilon is alive and still in Marawi city fighting alongside the remaining militants.
"Our forces are hot on their heels, and it will only be a matter of time before we get him," Abella said during a press briefing last Sunday.
The battle in Marawi has created a humanitarian crisis with more than 200,000 residents displaced and 835 deaths, including 645 militants, 145 government troops and 45 civilians.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 05.09.2017Two Russian soldiers killed by shelling in Syria's Deir al-Zor province
- 05.09.2017ISESCO calls for deprivation of Myanmar leader of Nobel Peace Prize
- 05.09.2017Syrian army breaks 3-year IS siege to Deir al-Zour
- 05.09.2017Explosions rock Myanmar area near Bangladesh border amid Rohingya exodus
- 05.09.20173 Pakistani security personnel killed in terror attack
- 04.09.2017BRICS countries vow to fight terrorism, corruption