Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday spoke with his Egyptian counterpart Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi by phone to discuss the U.S. decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
According to Palestine’s official Wafa news agency, the two men discussed the implications of U.S. President Donald Trump’s announcement America would relocate its Israel embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
Shortly before, Egypt had condemned the U.S. decision.
"Such unilateral moves are contrary to international resolutions and will not change Jerusalem’s legal status as a city under occupation," an Egyptian Foreign Ministry statement read.
Abbas, too, blasted the move.
In a televised address broadcast only minutes after Trump’s announcement, Abbas said the move would only “encourage Israel to maintain its occupation and continue its expansionist policies”.
Trump's decision, he added, “is a declaration of Washington’s withdrawal from its sponsorship of the [Israel-Palestine] peace process".
On Wednesday, the U.S. president announced his decision -- despite widespread opposition across the Middle East -- to formally recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 05.12.2017Iranian soldier killed in attack near Turkish border
- 05.12.2017South Korea, U.S. launch air drills amid North Korean warnings of nuclear war
- 05.12.2017U.N. political affairs chief to visit North Korea this week
- 05.12.2017US defense secretary meets Pakistan’s prime minister
- 04.12.2017Red Cross Reports 2 Airstrikes in Yemeni Capital Sanaa on Monday Night
- 04.12.2017Famous Indian actor Shashi Kapoor passes away at 79
- 04.12.2017No free trade deal during Trudeau’s China trip
- 03.12.2017Tropical storm in Indonesia kills 20
- 03.12.2017Turkey remands 85 military staff over links to FETO
- 02.12.2017Bangladesh: 7 dead, 20 injured in bus-truck collision
- 02.12.2017Seoul says North Korea puts Washington in range, but needs to prove critical technology
- 01.12.2017Earthquake of magnitude 6.3 strikes eastern Iran
- 30.11.20176 killed, 23 injured as strong winds, heavy rains lash Sri Lanka
- 30.11.2017Hamas, Fatah delay unity govt till Dec. 10
- 30.11.2017North Korea says tests most advanced missile yet; U.S. mainland in range
- 29.11.2017OPEC+ discusses extending oil production limits deal by 6, 9 months — Iraqi oil minister
- 29.11.2017North Korea launches ballistic missile
- 28.11.2017Four arrested in Turkey for stealing 700-Year old Torah scroll
- 28.11.201711 dead as cyclone hits Indonesia’s south
- 28.11.2017Indonesia extends Bali airport closure due to Agung eruption
- 28.11.2017Explosion sets city block on fire in Israel, kills four
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 05.12.2017Roadside bomb targeting military vehicle kills 6 in North Waziristan, Pakistan