Pakistani Taliban commander killed in US drone strike
Key militant commander of Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) Maqbool Dawar had been killed in a U.S. drone attack in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday night, the militant group said on Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In a statement the TTP Dawar group said the drone targeted a compound in the eastern Khost province of Afghanistan late Sunday night and killed Maqbool Dawar, his brother Murad Ali and two other militants.
The group also released images of the dead bodies and the funeral of Dawar.
A local administration official, who spoke over the phone on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to spoke the media, refused to confirm the TTP claims. However, he said he had also heard the militants leader had been killed but officially not yet confirmed to them.
Dawar was the third key militant leader of TTP Pakistan reported killed in U.S. drone strikes in Afghanistan in the last two weeks.
On Oct. 18, Umar Mansoor, the suspected mastermind behind the carnage in a school northern Peshawar city that left over 140 people, mostly children, dead in 2014, was killed in a U.S. drone strike.
According to Pakistani media, the head of another TTP faction -- Omar Khalid Khorasani of Jamaat-ul-Ahrar -- was also killed in the recent drone strikes in Afghanistan. Neither the splinter group nor the Pakistani army officially confirmed the development.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 31.10.2017North Korea may respond to Trump’s visit to Peninsula with new missile test
- 31.10.2017Taliban says American hostage’s health has ‘exponentially worsened’
- 31.10.2017At least 7 people killed in Israeli operation in Gaza
- 29.10.2017Mattis, in Seoul, says U.S. can't accept nuclear North Korea
- 29.10.2017Iraqi Kurdistan's President will not run for next term - UPDATED
- 28.10.2017Bomb attack kills one Bahraini policeman, wounds eight