Pakistani Taliban commander killed in US drone strike
Key militant commander of Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) Maqbool Dawar had been killed in a U.S. drone attack in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday night, the militant group said on Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In a statement the TTP Dawar group said the drone targeted a compound in the eastern Khost province of Afghanistan late Sunday night and killed Maqbool Dawar, his brother Murad Ali and two other militants.
The group also released images of the dead bodies and the funeral of Dawar.
A local administration official, who spoke over the phone on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to spoke the media, refused to confirm the TTP claims. However, he said he had also heard the militants leader had been killed but officially not yet confirmed to them.
Dawar was the third key militant leader of TTP Pakistan reported killed in U.S. drone strikes in Afghanistan in the last two weeks.
On Oct. 18, Umar Mansoor, the suspected mastermind behind the carnage in a school northern Peshawar city that left over 140 people, mostly children, dead in 2014, was killed in a U.S. drone strike.
According to Pakistani media, the head of another TTP faction -- Omar Khalid Khorasani of Jamaat-ul-Ahrar -- was also killed in the recent drone strikes in Afghanistan. Neither the splinter group nor the Pakistani army officially confirmed the development.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Palestinian factions agree to hold general elections by end-2018
- 22.11.2017Iran’s General Soleimani: Over 6,000 deceived young members of Daesh carry out suicide attacks
- 22.11.2017Khamenei: Fall of Daesh was also a blow to U.S.
- 22.11.2017Medicine and bread prices go up in Iran
- 22.11.2017Lebanon PM Saad Hariri 'suspends' resignation
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 31.10.2017North Korea may respond to Trump’s visit to Peninsula with new missile test
- 31.10.2017Taliban says American hostage’s health has ‘exponentially worsened’
- 31.10.2017At least 7 people killed in Israeli operation in Gaza
- 29.10.2017Mattis, in Seoul, says U.S. can't accept nuclear North Korea
- 29.10.2017Iraqi Kurdistan's President will not run for next term - UPDATED
- 28.10.2017Bomb attack kills one Bahraini policeman, wounds eight