Pakistani Taliban commander killed in US drone strike
Key militant commander of Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) Maqbool Dawar had been killed in a U.S. drone attack in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday night, the militant group said on Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
In a statement the TTP Dawar group said the drone targeted a compound in the eastern Khost province of Afghanistan late Sunday night and killed Maqbool Dawar, his brother Murad Ali and two other militants.
The group also released images of the dead bodies and the funeral of Dawar.
A local administration official, who spoke over the phone on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to spoke the media, refused to confirm the TTP claims. However, he said he had also heard the militants leader had been killed but officially not yet confirmed to them.
Dawar was the third key militant leader of TTP Pakistan reported killed in U.S. drone strikes in Afghanistan in the last two weeks.
On Oct. 18, Umar Mansoor, the suspected mastermind behind the carnage in a school northern Peshawar city that left over 140 people, mostly children, dead in 2014, was killed in a U.S. drone strike.
According to Pakistani media, the head of another TTP faction -- Omar Khalid Khorasani of Jamaat-ul-Ahrar -- was also killed in the recent drone strikes in Afghanistan. Neither the splinter group nor the Pakistani army officially confirmed the development.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 31.10.2017North Korea may respond to Trump’s visit to Peninsula with new missile test
- 31.10.2017Taliban says American hostage’s health has ‘exponentially worsened’
- 31.10.2017At least 7 people killed in Israeli operation in Gaza
- 29.10.2017Mattis, in Seoul, says U.S. can't accept nuclear North Korea
- 29.10.2017Iraqi Kurdistan's President will not run for next term - UPDATED
- 28.10.2017Bomb attack kills one Bahraini policeman, wounds eight