Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
Pakistani security forces rescued 16 foreigners and two Pakistanis in an operation against suspected separatists near the Pakistan-Iran border, officials and local media reported Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The operation was conducted in the Turbat region of southwestern Balochistan province which borders Iran and Afghanistan, local broadcaster Express TV reported, quoting unnamed security officials who were not allowed to speak to the media.
The foreigners, who are from Nigeria and Yemen, were taken hostage by Baloch separatists while they were trying to enter Iran, officials said.
Human traffickers frequently smuggle illegal immigrants to Europe via Iran and Turkey.
Security forces claimed to have arrested two captors and recovered a huge cache of weapons.
The operation follows the cold-blooded murder of 20 Pakistani illegal immigrants by suspected Baloch separatists last week in Turbat, prompting security forces to launch a large-scale operation in the area.
Mineral-rich Balochistan province, which is the size of Italy, has been a hotbed of violence for the past decade. Security forces have been fighting a low-intensity rebellion in the province for the last six decades.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Tsunami alert as quakes rock Indonesia
- 15.12.2017Japan says North Korea not interested in meaningful talks
- 14.12.2017New footage suggests North Korea might have an H-Bomb
- 14.12.201738 ISIL militants executed in Iraq
- 14.12.2017Putin specifies conditions for Russian involvement in addressing Syrian refugee problems
- 14.12.2017Putin warns against U.S. strike on North Korea
- 14.12.2017North Korea shows no sign it is serious about talking: U.S. official
- 14.12.2017Israel puts Gaza border on lockdown over security concerns
- 14.12.2017Syrian opposition discusses electoral process with UN
- 14.12.20172 Daesh militants killed in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 13.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani urges every possible means to avert US move on Holy Quds
- 13.12.2017Palestinian president urges world not to recognize Israeli state
- 13.12.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes rocket scientists, promises more weapons
- 13.12.20176.1 earthquake strikes eastern Iran
- 13.12.2017Yemeni PM accuses Houthis of subservience to Tehran
- 12.12.2017Russia withdraws diplomats from Yemen's Sanaa
- 12.12.2017Hamas announces beginning of third intifada against US decision on Jerusalem
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks