Pakistani diplomatic official killed in Afghanistan
A Pakistani consulate officer in eastern Nangarhar province has been killed by unknown armed men in Jalalabad city on Monday, an official said, APA report quoting Anadolu Agency.
Attaullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial government, told Anadolu Agency the visa section officer at the Jalalabad consulate was shot dead by two unknown men.
“Against the security protocol, the visa section officer Nayar Iqbal who was known as Rana, was out in the city without informing the security officials in the evening, and has been shot by unknown armed men riding a motorcycle”, he said.
No group or individual has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
The city has been gripped by an evident surge in such attacks involving armed men riding motorcycles. Last month, traders in the city held a protest urging the government to take immediate and effective steps to put an end to street crimes, kidnappings and targeted killings.
In July this year, Afghan security forces recovered two Pakistani diplomatic officials who were kidnapped from Jalalabad on June 16 as they were travelling back to Pakistan via road.
Meanwhile, Pakistan has lodged a protest with Afghanistan over killing of the 52-year-old officer.
“Afghan charge d’affaires in Islamabad was summoned by Pakistan's foreign secretary to protest the gruesome murder of the Pakistani diplomatic official,” Mohammad Faisal, Foreign Ministry’s spokesman, said in a statement.
President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi in separate messages strongly condemned this heinous act and conveyed their deepest condolences and sympathies to the bereaved family.
Iqbal, a father or five, belonged to Pakistan's northeastern Sialkot city.
Afghanistan’s Ambassador to Islamabad Omar Zakhilwal also condemned the incident in his Twitter post.
The murder follows the abduction of the deputy governor of Afghanistan's Kunar province, who came to Pakistan's northwestern Peshawar city for medical treatment a couple of weeks ago, according to the local media.
The incident, according to analysts, has hit a blow to recent developments aimed at reducing escalating diplomatic tensions between the two neighbors, which accuse each other of patronizing terrorists.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- 26.04.2018South Korea's Moon to meet North Korea's Kim at border for summit
- 25.04.2018Rouhani: US sets eyes on Arabian black gold reserves, bank accounts
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 07.11.2017North Korea threatens ‘merciless retaliation’ to Trump’s remarks’
- 07.11.2017Saudi-led forces close air, sea and land access to Yemen
- 07.11.2017Philippines: Nine more militants killed in Marawi
- 05.11.2017Trump arrives in Japan, first in five-country Asian tour
- 05.11.2017Dozens killed, injured in Syria refugee camp blast - SANA
- 05.11.2017Russian bombers strike IS facilities in Syria