Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif
Pakistan's Supreme Court has ruled there was insufficient evidence to oust Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif over corruption allegations, but has ordered a high-level investigation into the charges, APA reported citing Al Jazeera.
The court issued its verdict on Thursday afternoon in a case based on the "Panama Papers" leaks that was moved by opposition leaders seeking his removal from office.
Sharif's party declared the verdict a victory for his position that he was prepared to face any investigation.
"The Supreme Court has decided … the same thing that Nawaz Sharif himself had decided six months ago, when he ordered the formation of a commission to investigate [the allegations]," Khwaja Asif, a senior leader of Sharif's ruling PML-N party, told reporters outside the courthouse following the announcement.
Sharif will remain in office during the course of the investigation, which will also focus on his sons Hassan and Hussain, the verdict said.
The bench, which was split 3-2 on the judgment, decided that the source of the funds and assets in question had still not been conclusively established, and it is this that the joint investigation team it has formed will focus on.
It was not immediately clear if there were any implications for Sharif's daughter, Maryam, a prominent leader of his ruling PML-N party.
The judges ordered that the investigative body should be formed within seven days, and include representatives from the Federal Investigative Agency, the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan, the central bank, and other bodies. It will submit fortnightly reports to the Supreme Court.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 09.04.201826 children dead as school bus falls into gorge in India
- 09.04.2018Syrian T-4 airfield hit by Israel’s F-15 jets – Russian Defense Ministry
- 08.04.2018Afghan air strike kills IS commander
- 07.04.2018US Embassy vehicle kills motorcyclist in Pakistan
- 07.04.2018China's state media says U.S. tariff action will be defeated
- 07.04.2018Russia says it will respond firmly to new U.S. sanctions
- 06.04.2018Saudi Arabia to dig canal along Qatar border
- 06.04.2018Israeli troops kill seven Palestinians on day of heightened Gaza border protests: medics
- 06.04.2018Iraqi security forces kill 3 Daesh terrorists in Diyala
- 06.04.2018Singapore police arrest flight passenger for bomb hoax
- 06.04.2018Iranian defense minister disbelieves Trump’s rhetoric on withdrawal from Syria
- 05.04.2018Turkey, Iran, Russia say will work for stability in Syria
- 20.04.2017Syrian President: "Reports about capture of ISIL leader Baghdadi not true"
- 20.04.2017Russian officer killed in militant attack on Syrian Army Base - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017EU says ready to welcome back UK if it decides to stay
- 20.04.2017Bus-truck collision leaves 11 dead in Iran
- 20.04.2017North Korea says 'don't mess with us' as U.S. plans next move
- 20.04.2017Syria chemical attack undeniable, says OPCW chief