Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United States on Friday agreed to act against Daesh militant group through joint efforts in their respective areas of operations, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The trilateral meeting of top military officials was held at Pakistan army headquarters in garrison city of Rawalpindi, according to a statement issued by Pakistani army on Friday.
The meeting -- seen as crucial following the Friday’s suicide attack in southwestern Pakistan claimed by Daesh and escalating border tensions between Islamabad and Kabul -- “stressed upon the need to defeat Daesh through complementary efforts in respective areas of operations”.
Though, Pakistan officially does not recognize Daesh as a major threat to its security but the claims of responsibility for two major suicide attacks in the last few months have rung alarms for the security agencies.
The meeting was attended by Afghanistan’s director general military operations (DGMO) Major General Habib Hesari, Pakistan’s DGMO, Major General Sahir Shamshad Mirza and the U.S. Resolute Support Mission's Deputy Chief of Staff Major General Christopher Haas.
The trilateral meeting was followed by a bilateral meeting between Pakistan and Afghanistan to discuss the ongoing border tensions between the two neighbors, in addition to find measures for improving military-to-military coordination and cooperation, the statement added.
Pakistan last week closed down its southwestern Chaman border crossing with Afghanistan following a deadly border clash that left over a dozen people, mostly civilians, from both sides dead.
“Both sides agreed to enhance frequency of bilateral interaction at multiple tiers through different command and staff channels to foster an environment of mutual respect, trust, cordiality and cooperation”, it added.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Palestine Ready to Exchange Minor Territories With Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 13.05.2017Philippines forces kill 20 Abu Sayyaf terrorists
- 13.05.2017North Korea calls on UN member states to reconsider implementation of sanctions
- 13.05.2017Iranian Security Forces foil terror act plotted by Espionage group
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
- 12.05.2017Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat