Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United States on Friday agreed to act against Daesh militant group through joint efforts in their respective areas of operations, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The trilateral meeting of top military officials was held at Pakistan army headquarters in garrison city of Rawalpindi, according to a statement issued by Pakistani army on Friday.
The meeting -- seen as crucial following the Friday’s suicide attack in southwestern Pakistan claimed by Daesh and escalating border tensions between Islamabad and Kabul -- “stressed upon the need to defeat Daesh through complementary efforts in respective areas of operations”.
Though, Pakistan officially does not recognize Daesh as a major threat to its security but the claims of responsibility for two major suicide attacks in the last few months have rung alarms for the security agencies.
The meeting was attended by Afghanistan’s director general military operations (DGMO) Major General Habib Hesari, Pakistan’s DGMO, Major General Sahir Shamshad Mirza and the U.S. Resolute Support Mission's Deputy Chief of Staff Major General Christopher Haas.
The trilateral meeting was followed by a bilateral meeting between Pakistan and Afghanistan to discuss the ongoing border tensions between the two neighbors, in addition to find measures for improving military-to-military coordination and cooperation, the statement added.
Pakistan last week closed down its southwestern Chaman border crossing with Afghanistan following a deadly border clash that left over a dozen people, mostly civilians, from both sides dead.
“Both sides agreed to enhance frequency of bilateral interaction at multiple tiers through different command and staff channels to foster an environment of mutual respect, trust, cordiality and cooperation”, it added.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2017Over 90 people dead, 110 missing as heavy floods hit Sri Lanka
- 27.05.201720 Houthi rebels killed in southern Yemen
- 26.05.2017Roadside bomb claims 10 civilians in Afghanistan
- 26.05.2017Philippine president urges IS-linked rebels to halt siege, start talks
- 26.05.2017OPEC cuts extension encourages oil bulls amid Asian supply-side concerns
- 26.05.2017China to build global navigation satellite system by 2020
- 25.05.2017Manila deploys commandoes, helicopters to retake city from rebels
- 25.05.2017105 civilians killed in US airstrike in Mosul
- 25.05.2017Nepalese PM resigns ahead of final round of local polls
- 24.05.2017Suspected suicide bombers kill 3 police officers, wound 10 in Jakarta - UPDATED
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 13.05.2017Philippines forces kill 20 Abu Sayyaf terrorists
- 13.05.2017North Korea calls on UN member states to reconsider implementation of sanctions
- 13.05.2017Iranian Security Forces foil terror act plotted by Espionage group
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
- 12.05.2017Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat