Pakistan, Afghanistan, US to jointly act against Daesh
Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United States on Friday agreed to act against Daesh militant group through joint efforts in their respective areas of operations, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The trilateral meeting of top military officials was held at Pakistan army headquarters in garrison city of Rawalpindi, according to a statement issued by Pakistani army on Friday.
The meeting -- seen as crucial following the Friday’s suicide attack in southwestern Pakistan claimed by Daesh and escalating border tensions between Islamabad and Kabul -- “stressed upon the need to defeat Daesh through complementary efforts in respective areas of operations”.
Though, Pakistan officially does not recognize Daesh as a major threat to its security but the claims of responsibility for two major suicide attacks in the last few months have rung alarms for the security agencies.
The meeting was attended by Afghanistan’s director general military operations (DGMO) Major General Habib Hesari, Pakistan’s DGMO, Major General Sahir Shamshad Mirza and the U.S. Resolute Support Mission's Deputy Chief of Staff Major General Christopher Haas.
The trilateral meeting was followed by a bilateral meeting between Pakistan and Afghanistan to discuss the ongoing border tensions between the two neighbors, in addition to find measures for improving military-to-military coordination and cooperation, the statement added.
Pakistan last week closed down its southwestern Chaman border crossing with Afghanistan following a deadly border clash that left over a dozen people, mostly civilians, from both sides dead.
“Both sides agreed to enhance frequency of bilateral interaction at multiple tiers through different command and staff channels to foster an environment of mutual respect, trust, cordiality and cooperation”, it added.
Related news releases
- 25.07.20179 PKK terrorists killed in Iraq says Turkish military
- 25.07.2017IRGC says neutralized US Navy provocative move in Persian Gulf - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Israel to replace metal detectors in Jerusalem with smart surveillance
- 25.07.2017Israeli embassy staff in Jordan returned to Israel
- 25.07.2017UN to investigate civilian killings in Afghanistan
- 24.07.2017Israel cites self-defense in Amman embassy shooting
- 24.07.2017Russian, Qatari top diplomats discuss Gulf crisis
- 23.07.2017Dozens of IS militants killed in air raid: Iraqi forces
- 23.07.2017North Korea says South will pay 'Harshest' price for challenging missile tests
- 23.07.20177 killed, 2 injured in Guangzhou tower crane collapse
- 23.07.2017Iran seizes Saudi vessel in Persian Gulf, arrests crew
- 22.07.2017Iran announces new missile production line
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 13.05.2017Philippines forces kill 20 Abu Sayyaf terrorists
- 13.05.2017North Korea calls on UN member states to reconsider implementation of sanctions
- 13.05.2017Iranian Security Forces foil terror act plotted by Espionage group
- 12.05.201725 killed in Pakistan suicide attack by Islamic State
- 12.05.2017US-backed forces take key Syrian city, dam
- 12.05.2017Pyongyang doubles down on CIA terror threat