Over 100 IS militants killed in airstrikes in Iraq's Anbar
One hundred Islamic State (IS) militants were killed on Tuesday during 15 airstrikes by Iraqi jets against IS posts in Iraq's western province of Anbar, said the Iraqi military, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
According to intelligence reports, jet fighters carried out 11 airstrikes against IS militant hideouts in the IS-held town of Aana, killing 47 IS militants, said Iraq's Joint Operations Command (JOC) in a statement.
Aana is located 180 km northwest of Baghdad, Iraq's capital city. The warplanes also carried out four further airstrikes against IS posts in the IS-held town of al-Qaim, 330 km northwest of Baghdad, killing 53 IS militants, according to the statement.
The airstrikes targeted IS militants and destroyed general as well as car bomb-manufacturing sites, as well as suicide bombers' safe houses, elaborated the statement.
In late April, the JOC said that Iraqi F-16s and Sukhoi warplanes attacked IS hideouts within and nearby the town of al-Qaim, killing 46 IS militants.
Iraq's security forces' attacks which are backed by the anti-IS international coalition come as a major offensive is underway to drive out IS militants from their main stronghold in Mosul's western area in northern Iraq.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Palestine Ready to Exchange Minor Territories With Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 10.05.2017Moon Jae-In becomes new South Korean president - NEC
- 10.05.2017New S. Korean president says to visit DPRK under right conditions
- 10.05.2017New South Korean president vows to address North Korea, broader tensions 'urgently'
- 09.05.2017Iran mine accident search ends with 43 dead
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader
- 09.05.2017Syrian peace talks to reconvene in Geneva on May 16: U.N.