One dead, another hospitalized after Australian helicopter crash
One person was dead and another in a critical condition after a helicopter crashed at a Tasmanian airport on Tuesday night, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Authorities said the helicopter nosedived into the ground at Hobart airport shortly before 5:30 p.m. local time.
The aircraft was owned by local company Rotorlift, which holds a Tasmania Police search and rescue contract.
Tasmania Police's Inspector John Ward said the deceased person was a man in his 40s, but could not say if he was the pilot or passenger.
He said that the cause of the crash was not known and the investigation was ongoing.
"We are still putting the pieces of this puzzle together," Ward told reporters on Tuesday night.
"An eyewitness did say that the helicopter came down really hard, like a nosedive towards the ground."
"It appears to me it's pretty much broken in half, certainly been a write-off. It's come from 200 metres to the ground."
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed that two investigators would fly to Hobart to conduct the investigation.
"The ATSB will release a preliminary investigation report in approximately 30 days. A final report into the accident may take up to 12 months to complete," it said.
Ward said that four eyewitnesses had provided statements to police and Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) footage from the airport will be reviewed.
All flights departing from Hobart were cancelled pending further notice.
Ward said that the injured man had been in and out of consciousness since being taken to hospital.
"When we manage to speak to him, hopefully in the next 24 to 48 hours we hope to build a picture of what has occurred," he said.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash
- 08.11.2017Trump cancels surprise DMZ visit
- 08.11.2017Surveillance cameras installed on Turkish-Armenian border
- 08.11.2017Turkish Council of State dismisses member over FETO
- 08.11.2017More than 125 migrants held in western Turkey
- 07.11.2017South Korean investors show extraordinary interest in Russian projects — minister
- 07.11.2017Three killed, 13 civilians injured in attacks near Syria's Damascus