North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
Kim Jong -un has invited the South's President Moon Jae-in for a summit in Pyongyang, Seoul said on Saturday, APA reported citing The Telegraph.
The invitation, delivered by the North Korean leader's visiting sister Kim Yo-jong, said Mr Kim was willing to meet the South's leader "at the earliest date possible", said a spokesman for the presidential Blue House.
The announcement came after the South's president ate kimchi and drank soju liquor with Kim Yo-jong and the North's ceremonial head of state - even as the US warned against falling for Pyongyang's Olympic charm offensive.
An inter-Korean summit would be the third of its kind, after Mr Kim's father and predecessor Kim Jong-il met the South's Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun in 2000 and 2007 respectively, both of them in Pyongyang.
"Special envoy Kim Yo Jong delivered a personal letter" from her brother stating his "wish to improve inter-Korean relations", said Moon's spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom.
She verbally conveyed Kim's invitation to Moon "to visit the North at his most convenient time", he added.
Moon has long argued for engagement with the North to bring it to the negotiating table over its nuclear ambitions, but did not immediately accept the offer.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018Over 40 improvised bombs destroyed at Syria’s Yarmouk camp
- 27.05.2018Israel airstrikes target Hamas positions in Gaza
- 26.05.2018Bombs target Iraq communist party headquarters
- 25.05.2018IAEA report confirms Iran's commitment to nuclear agreement
- 25.05.2018North Korea says it's still willing to meet with Trump
- 25.05.2018Over 185 undocumented migrants held in western Turkey
- 24.05.2018Syrian state media says U.S. struck army base, U.S. denies
- 24.05.2018At least four killed, 15 wounded in Baghdad bomb blast
- 24.05.2018N Korean FM: Trump-Kim Summit Depends on 'US Behavior
- 24.05.2018Iran leader blasts U.S. for 'theatrical' pullout from nuclear deal
- 23.05.2018Iran's Zarif calls Pompeo's comments 'untrue', based on 'old illusions': state TV
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 09.02.20188 killed, 3 missing in south China road collapse