North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was present at the test of the engine, developed by the Academy of the National Defense Science, and noted its historic importance for the rocket industry, APA reports quoting the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
The news agency added that Kim Jong Un studied the engine's technical specifications ahead of the test and then guided the test.
Last Friday, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the United States' strategic patience with North Korea has ended, and warned that "all options are on the table" for Washington when dealing with Pyongyang, including military intervention.
On March 6, media reported that North Korea fired four ballistic missiles, and three landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone. According to the Japanese Defense Ministry, the missiles did not inflict any damages. South Korean military claimed that the missiles had flown more than 600 miles. Pyongyang said that the launches were a successful drill to strike US military facilities located in Japan.
The six-party talks launched in 2003 aimed to end North Korea's nuclear program via negotiations involving the United States, China, Russia, Japan, South Korea and North Korea.
The negotiations reached a stalemate when North Korea withdrew from the talks in 2009 and has since carried out multiple nuclear and ballistic missile tests.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2017North Korea Conducts Rocket Engine Test
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists surrender in SE Turkey
- 22.06.2017Dozens killed in Afghanistan as car bomb hits bank branch
- 22.06.2017Iran's Khamenei ordered missile strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria: Guards
- 22.06.2017Cuban FM: Trump's statements on Cuba do not conflict earlier agreements
- 22.06.2017China to launch four important satellites by 2020
- 22.06.2017First aid ship from Turkey setting sail for Qatar
- 21.06.2017Saudi king deposes crown prince, names son as successor
- 21.06.2017Air strikes pound southwest Syrian city of Deraa
- 20.06.201726 injured in Chinese plane crash
- 20.06.20173 Iran Revolutionary Guards detained in Saudi Arabia
- 20.06.2017Militant leader reportedly killed on Iran-Pakistan border
- 20.06.2017Four foreign inmates break out of Bali jail using tunnel
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 18.06.2017500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
- 18.06.201717 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan
- 17.06.2017Afghanistan: 700 pro-Daesh militants killed in 3 months
- 17.06.2017Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain defend blockade on Qatar
- 17.06.2017Three Palestinians shot dead after killing Israeli officer
- 16.06.2017Mattis Made no decisions on troop levels for Afghanistan - Pentagon
- 15.06.2017Iranian Laser targets US forces in Strait of Hormuz
- 15.06.2017Bomb blast near Kabul mosque kills 6, injures 10
- 15.06.2017Deadly explosion rocks Chinese kindergarten and kills at least 7
- 15.06.2017Two pilots of missing Malaysian military aircraft found dead
- 15.06.2017One wounded in missile attack on UAE ship off Yemen coast
- 14.06.2017100,000 evacuated as typhoon merbok hits South China
- 14.06.2017Saudi soldier killed in landmine blast
- 14.06.2017Turkish court remands 34 FETO suspects in custody
- 13.06.2017Oil prices edge up as Saudis limit exports to Asia, U.S.
- 13.06.2017Turkish military team in Qatar for troop deployment
- 13.06.2017U.S.-backed Syrian fighters reach old city walls in Islamic State-held Raqqa
- 13.06.2017Qatar 'extremely comfortable' despite sanctions, markets stabilize
- 13.06.2017Islamic State calls for attacks in West, Russia, Middle East, Asia during Ramadan
- 13.06.2017Iran's Khamenei blames U.S. for regional instability, creation of Islamic State
- 13.06.2017Over 900 Yemenis die of cholera outbreak since late April
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen