North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was present at the test of the engine, developed by the Academy of the National Defense Science, and noted its historic importance for the rocket industry, APA reports quoting the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
The news agency added that Kim Jong Un studied the engine's technical specifications ahead of the test and then guided the test.
Last Friday, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the United States' strategic patience with North Korea has ended, and warned that "all options are on the table" for Washington when dealing with Pyongyang, including military intervention.
On March 6, media reported that North Korea fired four ballistic missiles, and three landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone. According to the Japanese Defense Ministry, the missiles did not inflict any damages. South Korean military claimed that the missiles had flown more than 600 miles. Pyongyang said that the launches were a successful drill to strike US military facilities located in Japan.
The six-party talks launched in 2003 aimed to end North Korea's nuclear program via negotiations involving the United States, China, Russia, Japan, South Korea and North Korea.
The negotiations reached a stalemate when North Korea withdrew from the talks in 2009 and has since carried out multiple nuclear and ballistic missile tests.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Ex-South Korean president Park Geun-hye arrested
- 30.03.2017W. Mosul's old quarter hit by airstrike; 11 killed
- 30.03.2017Court decides whether to arrest ousted South Korean president Park
- 30.03.2017Suicide truck bomb kills at least 17 in south Baghdad: police - UPDATED
- 29.03.2017Iraqi forces battle toward landmark Mosul mosque
- 28.03.2017Russia, Iran express support for Damascus’ efforts to combat terrorism
- 28.03.2017North Korea tests rocket engine: U.S. officials
- 28.03.2017Hong Kong protest leaders charged day after new leader chosen
- 27.03.2017At least 11 dead in suicide bombing and gun attack in southern Yemen
- 27.03.2017At least 112 bodies found at site of US-led coalition's airstrike in Iraqi Mosul
- 26.03.2017ISIL militants kill three civilians in Afghanistan
- 25.03.201768 violators detained during riots in Bishkek
- 25.03.2017Senior Hamas leader shot dead in Gaza
- 25.03.201710 dead in central China mine accidents
- 25.03.2017Iran criticizes renewal of UN special rapporteur's mission: spokesman
- 25.03.2017Russian, U.S. defense officials discuss air safety over Syria
- 24.03.2017Bomber blows himself up near Bangladesh's principal airport in Dhaka
- 24.03.2017Turkey announces North Korea-related asset freeze
- 24.03.2017Italy deports 25th extremist since beginning of 2017
- 23.03.2017Next step against İSİS is Raqqah offensive
- 17.03.2017Houthis 'kill 22 soldiers' in Yemen attack
- 17.03.2017Traffic accidents kill 50 people in Iran in past two days
- 17.03.2017Japan launches IGS Radar-5 spy satellite
- 17.03.2017Syria government urges U.N. chief to avert 'looming dam catastrophe'
- 17.03.2017Air attack kills 58 civilians in Aleppo mosque
- 16.03.20172 militants killed in police raid in Bangladesh
- 16.03.2017Iraqi troops seize main bridge, advance on mosque in battle for Mosul
- 16.03.20176 killed, 13 injured as building collapses due to gas explosion in northern India
- 16.03.2017US seeking ‘serious’ Mideast talks: Palestinian FM
- 16.03.2017Car bomb attack kills at least 4 in Tikrit, Iraq
- 15.03.2017Explosion hits Palace of Justice in Damascus, multiple casualties reported
- 15.03.201790% of Mosul Retaken from Daesh - Police Chief
- 14.03.2017Two killed in fireworks blaze in central Israel
- 14.03.2017New round of intra-Syrian talks kicks off in Astana
- 14.03.20175.9 magnitude quake hits western Indonesia, no tsunami alert issued
- 14.03.2017Syrian war monitor says 465,000 killed in six years of fighting
- 13.03.201728 Houthis killed in shelling, airstrikes: Yemeni army
- 13.03.2017UNICEF: 652 children were killed in Syria last year
- 11.03.2017Expelled South Korean president hides from crowds
- 11.03.2017Attack on military air base in southeastern Afghanistan
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen