North Korea claims to have tested new high-thrust rocket engine
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was present at the test of the engine, developed by the Academy of the National Defense Science, and noted its historic importance for the rocket industry, APA reports quoting the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
The news agency added that Kim Jong Un studied the engine's technical specifications ahead of the test and then guided the test.
Last Friday, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the United States' strategic patience with North Korea has ended, and warned that "all options are on the table" for Washington when dealing with Pyongyang, including military intervention.
On March 6, media reported that North Korea fired four ballistic missiles, and three landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone. According to the Japanese Defense Ministry, the missiles did not inflict any damages. South Korean military claimed that the missiles had flown more than 600 miles. Pyongyang said that the launches were a successful drill to strike US military facilities located in Japan.
The six-party talks launched in 2003 aimed to end North Korea's nuclear program via negotiations involving the United States, China, Russia, Japan, South Korea and North Korea.
The negotiations reached a stalemate when North Korea withdrew from the talks in 2009 and has since carried out multiple nuclear and ballistic missile tests.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017The United States received a notice from Turkey an hour before operation in Syria and Iraq
- 26.04.2017Turkish jets kill senior PKK member in northern Iraq
- 25.04.2017Ankara court sentences 24 to life for killing Kurdish teen
- 24.04.201726 paramilitary personnel killed in central India
- 24.04.2017Philippines: 36 Maute terrorists killed in clashes
- 24.04.2017Suspected Maoist rebels kill 24 troops in Chhattisgarh
- 24.04.2017Iran to open polls in Azerbaijan for May 19 presidential election
- 23.04.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Philippines
- 23.04.2017Saudi king restores civil service and military allowances
- 22.04.2017Turkey condemns terror attack on Afghan army
- 22.04.2017Five killed in road accident in southern Philippines
- 22.04.2017Terrorists launch mortar attack in Damascus
- 22.04.2017Taliban kill '140' troops in Afghan base attack
- 22.04.2017At least 8 killed in eastern India in fighting over control for sandpits
- 21.04.2017U.S. forces kill Islamic State militant linked to Turkey nightclub attack
- 21.04.2017Taliban inflict more than 50 Afghan casualties in base attack, U.S. says - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017İSİL claims responsibility for Paris shooting
- 21.04.2017EU says ready to welcome back UK if it decides to stay
- 20.04.2017Russian officer killed in militant attack on Syrian Army Base - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017Syrian President: "Reports about capture of ISIL leader Baghdadi not true"
- 20.04.2017Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif
- 20.04.2017Bus-truck collision leaves 11 dead in Iran
- 20.04.2017North Korea says 'don't mess with us' as U.S. plans next move
- 20.04.2017Syria chemical attack undeniable, says OPCW chief
- 20.04.2017At Least 3 Al-Qaeda Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Southern Afghanistan
- 20.04.2017Tillerson: Iran nuclear agreement fails to achieve objectives
- 19.04.2017Iraqi army says third of old western Mosul retaken
- 19.04.2017Australian advisers caught in Mosul chemical attack
- 19.04.2017Pentagon might try to shoot down Pyongyang’s next missile test
- 18.04.2017Daesh car-bomb attack kills 16 in W. Mosul: Iraqi army
- 18.04.2017Iranian president criticizes IRGC for interfering country’s economic affairs
- 18.04.2017285 killed during Myanmar’s water festival
- 18.04.2017Japan may consider deploying troops in case of DPRK missile fall in its waters
- 18.04.2017Hardline Hindu youth call the shots on streets of northern India
- 17.04.2017US and South Korea agree 'early' deployment of THAAD missile defence system
- 16.04.2017Death toll in Syrian blast rises 100 - UPDATED
- 16.04.2017Ahmadinejad: "Iran has nothing to fear from US"
- 16.04.2017N Korea missile launch fails, says South Korea
- 16.04.2017PKK terrorists attack AK Party bus in Van
- 16.04.2017South Koreans, Japanese Remain Calm as US, North Korea Posture
- 22.03.2017Iraqi forces take two more villages in W. Mosul: Army
- 23.03.2017Air strike kills more than 30 near Raqqa, Syrian Observatory says
- 23.03.2017North Korea missile test fails, U.S. and South say, as tensions simmer
- 19.03.2017Abbas to visit White House next month
- 19.03.2017SVCS: Diseased animals not imported from Armenia to Azerbaijan through Georgia
- 18.03.2017Death toll rises to 42 in airstrike off Yemen