Netanyahu rejects UN resolution on Jerusalem
Israel has rejected the UN General Assembly resolution on Thursday which criticized the U.S. decision on the status of Jerusalem, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"Israel completely rejects this preposterous resolution," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in response to the UN vote.
The UN on Thursday overwhelmingly adopted a resolution on Jerusalem calling on the U.S. to withdraw its recognition of the city as Israel's capital.
A total of 128 members voted in favor of the resolution, nine countries voted against and 35 others abstained.
Netanyahu thanked to the U.S. President Donald Trump and the countries that favored the Jerusalem move alongside Israel.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon also condemned the resolution in a statement.
Thursday's voting came after the U.S. vetoed on Monday a UN Security Council resolution that rejected the establishment of diplomatic facilities in the contested city.
Unlike the UN’s 15-member Security Council, the U.S. did not have a veto in the General Assembly.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 09.04.201826 children dead as school bus falls into gorge in India
- 09.04.2018Syrian T-4 airfield hit by Israel’s F-15 jets – Russian Defense Ministry
- 08.04.2018Afghan air strike kills IS commander
- 07.04.2018US Embassy vehicle kills motorcyclist in Pakistan
- 07.04.2018China's state media says U.S. tariff action will be defeated
- 07.04.2018Russia says it will respond firmly to new U.S. sanctions
- 22.12.2017Australia to end air strikes against IS in Iraq
- 22.12.2017Israeli woman, 42, gives birth to her 20th child
- 22.12.2017Iran detains 230 boys and girls for drinking, dancing
- 22.12.2017Details of S-400 missile system deal with Saudi Arabia to be agreed by year-end — official
- 21.12.20175.2-magnitude quake hits Iran
- 21.12.2017Myanmar general hit by US sanctions