Netanyahu rejects UN resolution on Jerusalem
Israel has rejected the UN General Assembly resolution on Thursday which criticized the U.S. decision on the status of Jerusalem, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"Israel completely rejects this preposterous resolution," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in response to the UN vote.
The UN on Thursday overwhelmingly adopted a resolution on Jerusalem calling on the U.S. to withdraw its recognition of the city as Israel's capital.
A total of 128 members voted in favor of the resolution, nine countries voted against and 35 others abstained.
Netanyahu thanked to the U.S. President Donald Trump and the countries that favored the Jerusalem move alongside Israel.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon also condemned the resolution in a statement.
Thursday's voting came after the U.S. vetoed on Monday a UN Security Council resolution that rejected the establishment of diplomatic facilities in the contested city.
Unlike the UN’s 15-member Security Council, the U.S. did not have a veto in the General Assembly.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out