N. Korea slams 'frenzied' U.S. over B-1B bombers
North Korea revealed Friday the U.S. dispatched B-1B bombers above South Korea a day earlier -- a claim later confirmed by Washington., APA reports quoting the KCNA news agency.
Pyongyang's state-run media said the bombers were sent from Guam to the South and returned Thursday to prepare for a nuclear attack on the North.
The KCNA news agency described the move as part of a "frenzied U.S. scheme of threats and blackmail, which aims to crush our republic."
The North claims its own development of nuclear weapons - barred by the UN - is a sovereign right in response to American aggression.
Pyongyang's detection of the bombers also demonstrates North Korea's ability to spot foreign military aircraft despite claims to the contrary when the U.S. dispatched bombers near the reclusive state earlier this year.
The U.S. asserted in a Pacific Air Forces statement that its latest fly-by was not a specific retaliatory measure as has been the case following past North Korean nuclear and missile tests.
U.S. President Donald Trump will visit South Korea next Tuesday as part of a 12-day Asian tour.
He will discuss military options, among ways to handle North Korea, with his counterpart from the South, Moon Jae-in, according to U.S. National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster.
Seoul's state intelligence agency has warned the North may be preparing a provocation in line with Trump's trip.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump
- 03.11.2017Israeli military says ready to protect Druze village in Syria
- 03.11.2017Eight border guards killed in northwest Iran clashes with terrorists
- 04.11.2017North Korea calls for a halt to 'brutal' sanctions
- 02.11.2017Supreme Leader Khamenei says U.S. is Iran's 'number one enemy'
- 02.11.2017Eight security personnel killed in armed standoff with PKK militants in Turkey
- 02.11.2017Explosion at Indian power plant kills 16, injures dozens