N. Korea slams 'frenzied' U.S. over B-1B bombers
North Korea revealed Friday the U.S. dispatched B-1B bombers above South Korea a day earlier -- a claim later confirmed by Washington., APA reports quoting the KCNA news agency.
Pyongyang's state-run media said the bombers were sent from Guam to the South and returned Thursday to prepare for a nuclear attack on the North.
The KCNA news agency described the move as part of a "frenzied U.S. scheme of threats and blackmail, which aims to crush our republic."
The North claims its own development of nuclear weapons - barred by the UN - is a sovereign right in response to American aggression.
Pyongyang's detection of the bombers also demonstrates North Korea's ability to spot foreign military aircraft despite claims to the contrary when the U.S. dispatched bombers near the reclusive state earlier this year.
The U.S. asserted in a Pacific Air Forces statement that its latest fly-by was not a specific retaliatory measure as has been the case following past North Korean nuclear and missile tests.
U.S. President Donald Trump will visit South Korea next Tuesday as part of a 12-day Asian tour.
He will discuss military options, among ways to handle North Korea, with his counterpart from the South, Moon Jae-in, according to U.S. National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster.
Seoul's state intelligence agency has warned the North may be preparing a provocation in line with Trump's trip.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 03.11.2017Israeli military says ready to protect Druze village in Syria
- 03.11.2017Eight border guards killed in northwest Iran clashes with terrorists
- 04.11.2017North Korea calls for a halt to 'brutal' sanctions
- 02.11.2017Supreme Leader Khamenei says U.S. is Iran's 'number one enemy'
- 02.11.2017Eight security personnel killed in armed standoff with PKK militants in Turkey
- 02.11.2017Explosion at Indian power plant kills 16, injures dozens