Moscow, Kabul agree to jointly fight against terrorism
Afghanistan and Russia on Tuesday agreed collective efforts are required to fight against terrorism and combat drug trafficking in the region, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
This was stated in a joint press statement issued after a meeting between Nikolai Patrushev, secretary of the Russian security council, and Mohammad Haneef Atmar, the Afghan national security adviser in Kabul.
The statement added that both sides had a detailed discussion on the threats the two countries face in the region.
They also discussed economic cooperation to promote peace and prosperity in the region, according to the statement.
Last week, Russia urged Afghan leaders “not to follow the anti-Russian hysteria fanned by some western media''.
This followed a veiled allegations aimed at Moscow by President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani for supporting the Taliban.
Earlier this month, Ghani had told a gathering in southeastern Paktia province that the Taliban were allegedly receiving support from a country which had killed 1.5 million Afghans, a clear reference to the former Soviet Union that invaded the country in 1979.
Ghani's visit to Paktia came after a massive Taliban assault on the police headquarters that killed the police chief and at least 50 other people.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Palestinian factions agree to hold general elections by end-2018
- 22.11.2017Iran’s General Soleimani: Over 6,000 deceived young members of Daesh carry out suicide attacks
- 22.11.2017Khamenei: Fall of Daesh was also a blow to U.S.
- 22.11.2017Medicine and bread prices go up in Iran
- 22.11.2017Lebanon PM Saad Hariri 'suspends' resignation
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 31.10.2017Turkish court remands in custody 2 FETO suspects
- 01.11.2017Iraqi government sets date for parliamentary election
- 01.11.2017Iran says has missiles capable of striking US forces in case of invasion
- 31.10.2017Bombing rocks Kabul’s green zone, casualties feared
- 31.10.2017Magnitude 6.8 earthquake strikes near New Caledonia
- 31.10.2017At least 7 people killed in Israeli operation in Gaza