Moscow, Kabul agree to jointly fight against terrorism
Afghanistan and Russia on Tuesday agreed collective efforts are required to fight against terrorism and combat drug trafficking in the region, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
This was stated in a joint press statement issued after a meeting between Nikolai Patrushev, secretary of the Russian security council, and Mohammad Haneef Atmar, the Afghan national security adviser in Kabul.
The statement added that both sides had a detailed discussion on the threats the two countries face in the region.
They also discussed economic cooperation to promote peace and prosperity in the region, according to the statement.
Last week, Russia urged Afghan leaders “not to follow the anti-Russian hysteria fanned by some western media''.
This followed a veiled allegations aimed at Moscow by President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani for supporting the Taliban.
Earlier this month, Ghani had told a gathering in southeastern Paktia province that the Taliban were allegedly receiving support from a country which had killed 1.5 million Afghans, a clear reference to the former Soviet Union that invaded the country in 1979.
Ghani's visit to Paktia came after a massive Taliban assault on the police headquarters that killed the police chief and at least 50 other people.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 31.10.2017Turkish court remands in custody 2 FETO suspects
- 01.11.2017Iraqi government sets date for parliamentary election
- 01.11.2017Iran says has missiles capable of striking US forces in case of invasion
- 31.10.2017Bombing rocks Kabul’s green zone, casualties feared
- 31.10.2017Magnitude 6.8 earthquake strikes near New Caledonia
- 31.10.2017At least 7 people killed in Israeli operation in Gaza