Massive suicide bombing kills 14 in Iraq’s Mosul
At least 14 civilians were killed, including women and children, and another 32 injured in a suicide bombing that rocked Mosul on Wednesday, according to an Iraqi security source, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Iraqi Federal Police officer Adnan al-Khabouri told Anadolu Agency that a suicide bomber driving a bulldozer had blown himself up in the city after being besieged by Iraqi forces.
The bombing also destroyed six homes in the area, al-Khabouri added, without saying whether any losses had been sustained among Iraqi security personnel.
The bombing came only hours after Iraqi authorities announced the recapture of Mosul’s Al-Wihda district from Daesh terrorists.
The terrorist group has come to depend on suicide attacks, car bombs, improvised explosive devices and underground tunnel networks to repulse an ongoing Iraqi army campaign to recapture the Daesh-held city.
Since the campaign began some two and a half months ago, Iraqi forces have reportedly established control over more than a quarter of Mosul, once considered Iraq’s second largest city in terms of population.
Despite initial predictions that the city would be fully retaken by year’s end, Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi said last week that at least three more months would be needed to decisively extirpate Daesh from Iraq.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Iran's Zarif calls Pompeo's comments 'untrue', based on 'old illusions': state TV
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 05.01.2017One Turkish soldier martyred in N Syria operations
- 05.01.2017Mauritania, Saudi Arabia ink military agreement
- 05.01.2017Pakistan releases 218 more Indian fishermen
- 04.01.2017Massive 7.2 earthquake strikes off coast of Fiji, tsunami warning issued
- 04.01.2017India announces new fighter jets to be produced domestically
- 04.01.2017Turkey extends its NATO mission in Afghanistan