Malaysian-born Daesh leader killed
Jedi, who was instrumental in leading Daesh's first terror attack in Kuala Lumpur last year, died in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on April 29, the authorities said.
Malaysian Inspector General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said local and international intelligence had suggested Jedi's death and those reports had now been verified.
Jedi was known among international police forces as a prominent Southeast Asian Daesh militant leader in addition to his role as a primary recruiter of locals into the terror grouping.
"After studying the intelligence obtained, the Malaysian police confirmed that Muhammad Wanndy was killed in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on 29/4/17," Bakar said in a short statement.
On April 29, news of Jedi’s death spread on social media after his wife, Nor Mahmudah Ahmad, uploaded a status on Facebook claiming her husband had died in a drone attack.
Police and terrorism experts had cast doubt on the news, claiming it could be a cover for Jedi to escape a massive search operation.
Jedi, who came from a small town in the southern state of Malacca, left for Syria in 2014 with his wife.
Malaysian police had linked him with a grenade attack on an entertainment center in Kuala Lumpur on June 28 last year -- the first such attack in the country.
Police identified him as the man who gave the order to carry out the attack, which injured eight people.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017Philippine president urges IS-linked rebels to halt siege, start talks
- 26.05.2017OPEC cuts extension encourages oil bulls amid Asian supply-side concerns
- 26.05.2017China to build global navigation satellite system by 2020
- 25.05.2017Manila deploys commandoes, helicopters to retake city from rebels
- 25.05.2017105 civilians killed in US airstrike in Mosul
- 25.05.2017Nepalese PM resigns ahead of final round of local polls
- 24.05.2017Suspected suicide bombers kill 3 police officers, wound 10 in Jakarta - UPDATED
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 19.05.2017Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 09.05.2017North Korea detention of fourth US citizen 'concerning' - White House
- 09.05.2017US strikes 'kill 30 Haqqani militants' in Afghanistan
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader after months of political vacuum
- 06.05.2017Turkish army not to enter Syria's Idlib: Hatay governor
- 06.05.20172 killed, 6 injured in twin explosions in Philippines
- 06.05.2017Saudi Arabia, U.S. in talks on billions in arms sales