Malaysian-born Daesh leader killed
Jedi, who was instrumental in leading Daesh's first terror attack in Kuala Lumpur last year, died in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on April 29, the authorities said.
Malaysian Inspector General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said local and international intelligence had suggested Jedi's death and those reports had now been verified.
Jedi was known among international police forces as a prominent Southeast Asian Daesh militant leader in addition to his role as a primary recruiter of locals into the terror grouping.
"After studying the intelligence obtained, the Malaysian police confirmed that Muhammad Wanndy was killed in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on 29/4/17," Bakar said in a short statement.
On April 29, news of Jedi’s death spread on social media after his wife, Nor Mahmudah Ahmad, uploaded a status on Facebook claiming her husband had died in a drone attack.
Police and terrorism experts had cast doubt on the news, claiming it could be a cover for Jedi to escape a massive search operation.
Jedi, who came from a small town in the southern state of Malacca, left for Syria in 2014 with his wife.
Malaysian police had linked him with a grenade attack on an entertainment center in Kuala Lumpur on June 28 last year -- the first such attack in the country.
Police identified him as the man who gave the order to carry out the attack, which injured eight people.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Israeli embassy staff in Jordan returned to Israel
- 25.07.2017UN to investigate civilian killings in Afghanistan
- 24.07.2017Israel cites self-defense in Amman embassy shooting
- 24.07.2017Russian, Qatari top diplomats discuss Gulf crisis
- 23.07.2017Dozens of IS militants killed in air raid: Iraqi forces
- 23.07.2017North Korea says South will pay 'Harshest' price for challenging missile tests
- 23.07.20177 killed, 2 injured in Guangzhou tower crane collapse
- 23.07.2017Iran seizes Saudi vessel in Persian Gulf, arrests crew
- 22.07.2017Iran announces new missile production line
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 14.07.2017China's most prominent dissident dies
- 14.07.2017Heavy rain kills 2 in Guangxi, strands 9,000 air passengers in Sichuan
- 13.07.2017Turkish forces kill 8 PKK terrorists in southeast
- 09.05.2017North Korea detention of fourth US citizen 'concerning' - White House
- 09.05.2017US strikes 'kill 30 Haqqani militants' in Afghanistan
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader after months of political vacuum
- 06.05.2017Turkish army not to enter Syria's Idlib: Hatay governor
- 06.05.20172 killed, 6 injured in twin explosions in Philippines
- 06.05.2017Saudi Arabia, U.S. in talks on billions in arms sales