Malaysian-born Daesh leader killed
Jedi, who was instrumental in leading Daesh's first terror attack in Kuala Lumpur last year, died in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on April 29, the authorities said.
Malaysian Inspector General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said local and international intelligence had suggested Jedi's death and those reports had now been verified.
Jedi was known among international police forces as a prominent Southeast Asian Daesh militant leader in addition to his role as a primary recruiter of locals into the terror grouping.
"After studying the intelligence obtained, the Malaysian police confirmed that Muhammad Wanndy was killed in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on 29/4/17," Bakar said in a short statement.
On April 29, news of Jedi’s death spread on social media after his wife, Nor Mahmudah Ahmad, uploaded a status on Facebook claiming her husband had died in a drone attack.
Police and terrorism experts had cast doubt on the news, claiming it could be a cover for Jedi to escape a massive search operation.
Jedi, who came from a small town in the southern state of Malacca, left for Syria in 2014 with his wife.
Malaysian police had linked him with a grenade attack on an entertainment center in Kuala Lumpur on June 28 last year -- the first such attack in the country.
Police identified him as the man who gave the order to carry out the attack, which injured eight people.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 09.05.2017North Korea detention of fourth US citizen 'concerning' - White House
- 09.05.2017US strikes 'kill 30 Haqqani militants' in Afghanistan
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader after months of political vacuum
- 06.05.2017Turkish army not to enter Syria's Idlib: Hatay governor
- 06.05.20172 killed, 6 injured in twin explosions in Philippines
- 06.05.2017Saudi Arabia, U.S. in talks on billions in arms sales