Malaysian-born Daesh leader killed
Jedi, who was instrumental in leading Daesh's first terror attack in Kuala Lumpur last year, died in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on April 29, the authorities said.
Malaysian Inspector General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said local and international intelligence had suggested Jedi's death and those reports had now been verified.
Jedi was known among international police forces as a prominent Southeast Asian Daesh militant leader in addition to his role as a primary recruiter of locals into the terror grouping.
"After studying the intelligence obtained, the Malaysian police confirmed that Muhammad Wanndy was killed in an attack in Raqqa, Syria on 29/4/17," Bakar said in a short statement.
On April 29, news of Jedi’s death spread on social media after his wife, Nor Mahmudah Ahmad, uploaded a status on Facebook claiming her husband had died in a drone attack.
Police and terrorism experts had cast doubt on the news, claiming it could be a cover for Jedi to escape a massive search operation.
Jedi, who came from a small town in the southern state of Malacca, left for Syria in 2014 with his wife.
Malaysian police had linked him with a grenade attack on an entertainment center in Kuala Lumpur on June 28 last year -- the first such attack in the country.
Police identified him as the man who gave the order to carry out the attack, which injured eight people.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017KRG leader rules out delay to referendum schedule
- 23.09.2017Iran says tests new missile, after U.S. criticizes arms program
- 23.09.2017US bombers stage North Korea show of force
- 23.09.2017Turkish parliament ratifies motion on Iraq, Syria - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Turkish defense minister urges KRG to call off poll
- 23.09.2017Barzani: US Position on Kurdistan’s Independence Vote 'Surprising'
- 23.09.2017Turkey says KRG referendum will have serious consequences
- 23.09.2017First vote cast in Kurdistan independence referendum
- 23.09.2017Iran successfully test-fires new ballistic missile
- 23.09.2017Kurd region poll to be held on schedule: Barzani
- 22.09.2017North Korea's FM: "Pyongyang could test a nuclear weapon in response to Trump's threats of military action"
- 22.09.2017North Korea's Kim says will make 'deranged' Trump pay dearly for UN speech
- 21.09.2017S&P downgrades China's credit ratings
- 21.09.2017Khamenei: Trump’s ‘foolish’ comments on Iran rooted in US defeats in West Asia
- 21.09.2017Troops kill 9 rebels in Northern Philippines Province
- 20.09.2017'Ignorant, absurd, hateful rhetoric' - Iran's president on Trump's un speech
- 20.09.2017Iran publicly hangs man for rape, murder of 7-year-old girl
- 20.09.2017Turkey mulling sanctions over Kurdish referendum
- 19.09.2017Turkish jets kill 3 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.09.2017Iran says it will not renegotiate nuclear deal
- 19.09.2017Iraqi Turkmen leader: Barzani plans to annex Kirkuk to Kurdish region
- 19.09.2017Palestine: President, Hamas' Haniyeh talk on phone
- 19.09.2017North Korea: UN sanctions motivate acceleration of nuclear weapon development
- 19.09.2017Turkish president speaks with Iraqi PM on phone
- 18.09.2017Iraq Supreme Court orders suspension of Kurdistan referendum
- 17.09.2017Turkey names new head to religious affairs directorate
- 16.09.2017Car bomb kills one, wounds 10 in disputed Iraqi oil city
- 16.09.2017Iraqi army liberates ISIS-held Akashat town near Syria border
- 16.09.2017Rouhani urges EU to pressure US
- 15.09.2017Islamic State claims responsibility for London blast:
- 15.09.2017Turkish Deputy PM meets Rohingya group's head
- 15.09.2017Seoul holds emergency National Security meeting after North Korean missile test
- 15.09.2017North Korea fires missile over Japan that lands far out in the Pacific
- 14.09.2017At least 50 die in twin attacks in Iraq
- 14.09.2017Airstrikes kill 5 PKK terrorists in eastern Turkey
- 14.09.2017Malaysia’s prime minister calls Myanmar violence genocide
- 14.09.201725 dead in fire at religious school in Malaysia
- 14.09.2017Evacuated Islamic State fighters reach Syria's Deir al-Zor: pro-Damascus commander
- 14.09.2017North Korea accused of raising money by stealing bitcoins in hack attacks
- 13.09.2017Suicide bomb near cricket stadium in Afghan capital kills at least three
- 09.05.2017North Korea detention of fourth US citizen 'concerning' - White House
- 09.05.2017US strikes 'kill 30 Haqqani militants' in Afghanistan
- 09.05.2017South Koreans vote for new leader after months of political vacuum
- 06.05.2017Turkish army not to enter Syria's Idlib: Hatay governor
- 06.05.20172 killed, 6 injured in twin explosions in Philippines
- 06.05.2017Saudi Arabia, U.S. in talks on billions in arms sales