Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
A roadside landmine claimed 11 lives of a family in southeastern Afghanistan on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The incident occurred in Mohammad Agha district of Logar province, where a passenger car hit the landmine that led to the death of all five women, an elderly man and five children traveling in it, the district chief Mohammad Naseer told Anadolu Agency.
The Taliban have not claimed the responsibility, but the provincial government has blamed the militant group for the attack.
Salim Saleh, spokesman for the governor in Logar, said it is the work of the Taliban to lay such landmines in a bid to target the government forces, but often civilians find themselves in the middle of the conflict.
In February this year, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said in its annual report that the civilians again bore the brunt of violence in Afghanistan in 2016 that saw a large number of children among the 3,498 dead.
The report documented 11,418 conflict-related civilian casualties, including 3,498 people killed and 7,920 injured in 2016. Of these, 3,512 were children -- 923 dead and 2,589 injured -- up by 24 percent from the previous highest-ever recorded figure.
The conflict-related violence exacted a heavy toll on the country, with an overall deterioration in civilian protection and the highest-total civilian casualties recorded since 2009, when the UN mission began systematic documentation of casualties, it said.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2017Two dead in suspected suicide bombing in Jakarta: police
- 24.05.2017Syrian army says Islamic State's 'minister of war' killed
- 24.05.20172 soldiers injured in PKK attack in SE Turkey
- 24.05.201722 killed as bus with pilgrims falls into Bhagirathi river in Uttarkashi
- 24.05.2017Philippine president cuts short Russia trip
- 24.05.2017China envoy to UN calls for dialogue with N. Korea without presenting conditions
- 23.05.201732 kindergarten children injured in south China traffic accident
- 23.05.2017US forces killed seven al-Qaeda militants during raid in Yemen
- 23.05.2017Trump says concerns about Iran driving Israel, Arab states closer
- 23.05.2017North Korea says missile ready for mass production, U.S. questions progress
- 23.05.2017South Korea says Pyongyang’s new missile not capable of reaching US territory
- 23.05.2017Coalition raid kills Daesh militants in Iraq’s W. Mosul
- 23.05.2017Cholera death toll in Yemen rises to 350
- 22.05.2017Turkish military kills 4 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 22.05.2017Rouhani says regional stability impossible without Iran
- 22.05.2017Trump: 'Iran will never have a nuclear weapon'
- 22.05.2017Cholera outbreak claims 315 lives in Yemen
- 22.05.2017Tehran slams Trump’s speech in Saudi Arabia
- 21.05.20174 suspected Baloch separatists killed in SW Pakistan
- 20.05.2017Indian court acquits Muslim scholar in train blast case
- 20.05.2017US, Saudi Arabia sign $110B arms deal amid Trump visit
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani says Iran wants interaction with the world
- 20.05.20176 dead as armed militants storm bank in Afghanistan
- 20.05.2017Iranian Interior Ministry: Hassan Rouhani wins presidential elections
- 20.05.2017Trump arrives in Saudi Arabia in first foreign trip
- 20.05.2017Hassan Rouhani re-elected as Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Magnitude 5.9 quake strikes off Philippines
- 20.05.2017At least 13 killed in Iraq car bombings
- 20.05.2017Rouhani leads Iran presidential race, expected to win: source
- 19.05.20175 ISIL suspects arrested in Istanbul
- 18.05.2017ISIL attacks Syrian Deir ez-Zor with rockets, kill 3 civilians
- 18.05.2017US coalition strike on Syrian army occurred within established Safe Zone
- 17.05.2017Pakistan protests with UN team over Indian shelling
- 17.05.2017Workers trapped after methane gas explosion in Turkey
- 17.05.2017Pyongyang developing missiles faster than Seoul expected
- 17.05.2017OPEC suffers decline in export revenues: EIA
- 16.05.2017Death toll from China truck-bus crash rises to 12
- 15.05.2017North Korea vows missile tests 'any time, any place', defying U.S. warnings
- 15.05.2017Iraq’s al-Sadr urges Tehran, Riyadh to engage in talks
- 14.05.2017Suspected ransomware attack at southeast Ireland's healthcare facility
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results