Landmine blast claims 11 lives in Afghanistan
A roadside landmine claimed 11 lives of a family in southeastern Afghanistan on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The incident occurred in Mohammad Agha district of Logar province, where a passenger car hit the landmine that led to the death of all five women, an elderly man and five children traveling in it, the district chief Mohammad Naseer told Anadolu Agency.
The Taliban have not claimed the responsibility, but the provincial government has blamed the militant group for the attack.
Salim Saleh, spokesman for the governor in Logar, said it is the work of the Taliban to lay such landmines in a bid to target the government forces, but often civilians find themselves in the middle of the conflict.
In February this year, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said in its annual report that the civilians again bore the brunt of violence in Afghanistan in 2016 that saw a large number of children among the 3,498 dead.
The report documented 11,418 conflict-related civilian casualties, including 3,498 people killed and 7,920 injured in 2016. Of these, 3,512 were children -- 923 dead and 2,589 injured -- up by 24 percent from the previous highest-ever recorded figure.
The conflict-related violence exacted a heavy toll on the country, with an overall deterioration in civilian protection and the highest-total civilian casualties recorded since 2009, when the UN mission began systematic documentation of casualties, it said.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017U.S. air strike kills Afghan forces in friendly-fire incident
- 22.07.2017Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement
- 22.07.2017Palestinians suspend official contacts with Israel: president
- 21.07.2017Israeli health officials move to ban smoking in public places
- 21.07.2017Qatar open to talks with Arab states to resolve crisis – Foreign Minister
- 21.07.2017State Dept. urges calm at Al-Aqsa
- 21.07.201730 percent of Raqqah cleared of Daesh: US
- 20.07.2017Israeli and Turkish presidents had a phone talk
- 20.07.2017Iran ambassador ordered to leave Kuwait over spy case
- 20.07.2017Kuwait closes Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats
- 20.07.201716 security personnel killed in Afghanistan
- 20.07.2017Chinese army mobilizes military assets to Tibet following live fire drills
- 19.07.2017Pakistani army: '8 dead' in new border clash with India
- 19.07.2017Over 330,000 killed in Syrian war – monitor
- 19.07.2017North Korea conducts public executions for theft, watching South Korea media
- 19.07.2017Trump’s strategy on Iran ‘doesn’t exist’ just like rest of US foreign policy
- 19.07.2017Egyptian security forces kill prominent Islamic State militant in North Sinai
- 18.07.2017Spokesman: His brother’s arrest won’t influence Rouhani’s will
- 18.07.2017Iranian FM: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan is a wrong choice
- 18.07.2017Chinese ships warned to leave after entering Japanese waters
- 18.07.2017Challenges remain after Mosul liberation: UN envoy
- 17.07.2017Iranian president's brother hospitalized on second day of detention
- 15.07.2017Benghazi airport reopens after three-year closure during war
- 15.07.2017One dead, 4 injured in Tehran subway brawl
- 15.07.2017Clashes between Iraq's Army, Daesh militants resume in West Mosul
- 14.07.2017Head of Islamic State in Afghanistan killed: Pentagon
- 14.07.2017Two Israeli policemen shot dead near Jerusalem holy site, gunmen killed
- 14.07.2017Daesh Militants Declare Iraqi Tal Afar Independent State From Caliphate - Media
- 14.07.2017China's most prominent dissident dies
- 14.07.2017Heavy rain kills 2 in Guangxi, strands 9,000 air passengers in Sichuan
- 13.07.2017Turkish forces kill 8 PKK terrorists in southeast
- 13.07.2017Oil prices dip as OPEC expects less demand for its crude
- 13.07.2017Suicide bomber kills and injures scores in Syria's Idlib province
- 13.07.2017US Geological Survey detects 5.8 magnitude earthquake off South Korea coast
- 13.07.2017Top U.S. diplomat ends talks in Gulf; no sign Qatar crisis resolved
- 12.07.2017Saudi crown prince discusses defense ties with Turkish minister
- 12.07.2017Russia's Lavrov: show me at least one fact Moscow meddled in U.S. election
- 12.07.2017Trillion ton iceberg breaks away from Antarctic shelf
- 12.07.2017Taliban gunmen kill 7 in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2017S. Korea, US, Japan military officials agree to put maximum pressure on N. Korea
- 20.05.2017Polls close in Iran presidential election
- 20.05.20173 Iraqi soldiers killed in southern Basra city
- 20.05.2017North Korea's UN envoy slams 'hostile' US policy
- 19.05.2017Iran presidential election: Voting time extended 2 hours
- 19.05.2017Two dead, several missing as bridge collapses in India
- 19.05.2017Iran’s first VP urges respect for election results