Kurd Region Govt frees detained New Generation leader
Northern Iraq’s Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) on Wednesday released Shaswar Abdulwahid, a leader of the New Generation movement, after nine days of detention, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Abdulwahid was detained last week for organizing and participating in anti-corruption protests in the city of Sulaymaniyah.
"I continue to have the utmost respect for all those protesters still in detention," the movement leader said in a statement issued following his release.
He went on to voice hope that the demonstrations would continue despite the KRG’s efforts to suppress them.
The New Generation movement came to prominence after campaigning against the KRG’s illegitimate Sept. 25 referendum on regional independence.
Last week, two political parties -- Gorran and Komal -- withdrew from the Erbil-based KRG in a show of support for the protests in Sulaymaniyah.
One of the Kurdish region’s largest cities, Sulaymaniyah -- where both parties are based -- was rocked by demonstrations last week by civil servants demanding payment of overdue salaries and an end of perceived government corruption.
The KRG has remained in crisis since late September, when it insisted -- despite widespread regional and international opposition -- on holding a popular referendum on regional independence.
In the immediate wake of the poll, federal forces moved into parts of Iraq "disputed" between Baghdad and Erbil, including the oil-rich Kirkuk province.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 28.12.2017One dead after quake near Iran capital Tehran
- 28.12.2017Baghdad extends Erbil flight ban by 2 months
- 28.12.20176 children killed in N. Afghan unexploded ordnance blast
- 27.12.20179 terrorists killed in Turkish air raids in N.Iraq
- 27.12.2017Syria’s Assad is a terrorist, impossible to continue with him: Erdoğan
- 27.12.2017Iran gov't charged with supporting entire Quds capital status