KRG proposes to freeze referendum results
The Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) on Wednesday proposed to freeze its illegal referendum and halt military operations, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"As Iraq and Kurdistan are faced with grave and dangerous circumstances, we are all obliged to act responsibly in order to prevent further violence and clashes between Iraqi and Peshmerga forces," the KRG said in a statement.
"Clashes have caused damage to both sides and could lead to a continuous bloodshed, inflicting pain and social unrest among different components of Iraqi society," it said, highlighting clashes between Iraqi and Peshmerga forces that erupted on Oct. 16.
"Certainly, continued fighting does not lead any side to victory, but it will drive the country towards disarray and chaos, affecting all aspects of life," it continued.
In order to "fulfill our responsibilities and obligations towards the people of Kurdistan and Iraq," the KRG proposed an immediate ceasefire and halt of all military operations, freezing the results of the referendum conducted in Iraqi Kurdistan and starting an open dialogue with the Iraqi government on the basis of the Constitution.
On Sept. 25, Iraqis in KRG-held areas -- and in several areas disputed between Baghdad and Erbil -- voted on whether to declare independence from Iraq.
According to results announced by the KRG, almost 93 percent of registered voters cast ballots in favor of independence.
The illegitimate referendum was heavily criticized by most regional and international actors, with many warning it would distract from Iraq’s ongoing fight against terrorism and further destabilize the already volatile region.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 26.10.2017Iraqi army retakes strategic border crossing with Syria
- 26.10.2017Iran says defense capabilities not negotiable amid U.S. pressure
- 27.10.2017South Korea developing more powerful ballistic missiles
- 24.10.2017Iran 'sentences Sweden resident to death' for spying
- 24.10.2017Diplomat: Iraq’s regain of power over Kirkuk has opened way to liberate other territories
- 24.10.2017IS terrorists control less than 5% of Syria’s territory — Russian defense minister