Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
Two months after the murder of political journalist Shantanu Bhowmik, another journalist Sudip Dutta Bhowmik was killed in northeastern Indian state of Tripura on Tuesday. Sudip Dutta Bhowmuk was shot at point blank by a Tripura State Rifle trooper at RK Nagar, nearly 20 km from the state capital. the Tripura State Rifles are a state police force specialized in performing counter Insurgency operations in the State, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
According to initial reports, the 50 years old journalist had gone to the 2nd battalion of Tripura State Rifles in West Tripura district to meet the commandant for a story. A scuffle broke out when he was denied permission to meet the commandant.
"Reason for the incident (altercation) not known. One Nanda Reang has been detained for shooting and will be arrested. All happened inside 2nd battalion of Tripura State Rifles headquarter," Abhijit Saptarshi, Superintendent of Police, West Tripura told Sputnik.
The journalist could not survive the injury and was declared dead on arrival by the doctor at the nearest hospital.
Sudip Datta Bhowmik was employed with a vernacular newspaper, Syandan Patrika, and a news channel, Vanguard, as ‘an investigative journalist'.
On September 20 this year, a 28 years old political journalist Shantanu Bhowmik was beaten to death with the sticks as he reported on violence between warring political factions and police outside the state capital of Agartala. In the same month, in the southern part of the country, a senior journalist Gauri Lankesh was shot dead by three unknown gunmen as she entered her home in the southern city of Bangalore. Police have not been able to solve any of these cases till date.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Lebanon PM Saad Hariri 'suspends' resignation
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border