Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
Two months after the murder of political journalist Shantanu Bhowmik, another journalist Sudip Dutta Bhowmik was killed in northeastern Indian state of Tripura on Tuesday. Sudip Dutta Bhowmuk was shot at point blank by a Tripura State Rifle trooper at RK Nagar, nearly 20 km from the state capital. the Tripura State Rifles are a state police force specialized in performing counter Insurgency operations in the State, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
According to initial reports, the 50 years old journalist had gone to the 2nd battalion of Tripura State Rifles in West Tripura district to meet the commandant for a story. A scuffle broke out when he was denied permission to meet the commandant.
"Reason for the incident (altercation) not known. One Nanda Reang has been detained for shooting and will be arrested. All happened inside 2nd battalion of Tripura State Rifles headquarter," Abhijit Saptarshi, Superintendent of Police, West Tripura told Sputnik.
The journalist could not survive the injury and was declared dead on arrival by the doctor at the nearest hospital.
Sudip Datta Bhowmik was employed with a vernacular newspaper, Syandan Patrika, and a news channel, Vanguard, as ‘an investigative journalist'.
On September 20 this year, a 28 years old political journalist Shantanu Bhowmik was beaten to death with the sticks as he reported on violence between warring political factions and police outside the state capital of Agartala. In the same month, in the southern part of the country, a senior journalist Gauri Lankesh was shot dead by three unknown gunmen as she entered her home in the southern city of Bangalore. Police have not been able to solve any of these cases till date.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes rocket scientists, promises more weapons
- 13.12.20176.1 earthquake strikes eastern Iran
- 12.12.2017Russia withdraws diplomats from Yemen's Sanaa
- 12.12.2017Hamas announces beginning of third intifada against US decision on Jerusalem
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 05.12.2017Roadside bomb targeting military vehicle kills 6 in North Waziristan, Pakistan
- 05.12.2017Iranian soldier killed in attack near Turkish border
- 05.12.2017South Korea, U.S. launch air drills amid North Korean warnings of nuclear war
- 05.12.2017U.N. political affairs chief to visit North Korea this week
- 05.12.2017US defense secretary meets Pakistan’s prime minister
- 04.12.2017Red Cross Reports 2 Airstrikes in Yemeni Capital Sanaa on Monday Night
- 04.12.2017Famous Indian actor Shashi Kapoor passes away at 79
- 26.04.2012Syria blames rebels for blast that killed 16
- 26.04.2012Central Russia Flood Damage Estimated at $17 mln
- 26.04.2012Pakistani security forces kill suicide bomber in SW Quetta
- 26.04.2012Pakistan tests nuclear-capable ballistic missile
- 26.04.2012Iraq West Qurna-2 field to hit 150,000 bpd in 2013
- 26.04.2012Ban raises fears over Bahrain hunger striker