Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
Two months after the murder of political journalist Shantanu Bhowmik, another journalist Sudip Dutta Bhowmik was killed in northeastern Indian state of Tripura on Tuesday. Sudip Dutta Bhowmuk was shot at point blank by a Tripura State Rifle trooper at RK Nagar, nearly 20 km from the state capital. the Tripura State Rifles are a state police force specialized in performing counter Insurgency operations in the State, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
According to initial reports, the 50 years old journalist had gone to the 2nd battalion of Tripura State Rifles in West Tripura district to meet the commandant for a story. A scuffle broke out when he was denied permission to meet the commandant.
"Reason for the incident (altercation) not known. One Nanda Reang has been detained for shooting and will be arrested. All happened inside 2nd battalion of Tripura State Rifles headquarter," Abhijit Saptarshi, Superintendent of Police, West Tripura told Sputnik.
The journalist could not survive the injury and was declared dead on arrival by the doctor at the nearest hospital.
Sudip Datta Bhowmik was employed with a vernacular newspaper, Syandan Patrika, and a news channel, Vanguard, as ‘an investigative journalist'.
On September 20 this year, a 28 years old political journalist Shantanu Bhowmik was beaten to death with the sticks as he reported on violence between warring political factions and police outside the state capital of Agartala. In the same month, in the southern part of the country, a senior journalist Gauri Lankesh was shot dead by three unknown gunmen as she entered her home in the southern city of Bangalore. Police have not been able to solve any of these cases till date.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Lebanon PM Saad Hariri 'suspends' resignation
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border