Joint Turkey-Qatar naval games exercises up outside Doha
Joint Turkish-Qatari naval exercises concluded outside capital Doha on Monday, according to statements issued by Qatar’s Defense Ministry, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The rapid-response exercises, which lasted for two days, were conducted entirely in Qatari territorial waters.
“Qatar’s Royal Air Force and Special Naval Force… and the General Directorate of Coast and Border Security participated in the exercise,” Lieutenant-Colonel Nawaf bin Mubarak Al Thani was quoted as saying in the statement.
The maneuvers utilized several Qatari missile boats, Al Thani said, in addition to an advanced Turkish naval frigate.
According to Lieutenant-Colonel Falah Mahdi Ahbabi, Qatari commander of naval formations, the joint exercises were devoted to practicing means of combating maritime terrorism and piracy and inspecting suspicious vessels.
An earlier Turkey-Qatar joint military exercise was carried out on June 19 at Qatar’s Tariq bin Ziyad military base.
That exercise was conducted only days after Turkey’s parliament ratified military cooperation agreements allowing Ankara to deploy troops to Qatar to train that country’s gendarmerie forces.
The agreements are intended to improve Qatar’s defense capabilities and support the country’s efforts to combat terrorism and contribute to regional security.
This week’s joint exercises come against the backdrop of a two-month embargo on Qatar imposed by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.
In early June, the five-state Arab bloc collectively severed diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of supporting terrorism. Saudi Arabia also closed its land border with Qatar, geographically isolating the tiny Gulf state.
Doha strenuously denies accusations that it supports terrorism, describing attempts to isolate it as “unjustified”.
Turkey, meanwhile, a longtime ally of Qatar, has since rushed to Doha’s aid, dispatching vast amounts of humanitarian assistance -- in addition to troops -- to the beleaguered Gulf state.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018Turkmenistan to go to polls on Sunday
- 25.03.2018More than 260 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 24.03.2018Explosion in Afghan capital reportedly kills 1, injures 9
- 24.03.2018Car bomb rips through crowd at Afghan wrestling match
- 24.03.2018Seoul says North Korea agrees to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on March 29
- 24.03.2018China's Liu He says China ready to defend its interests in trade spat with U.S.
- 23.03.2018Yemen’s Houthis claim to fire missile into Saudi Arabia
- 23.03.2018Luxury tenement fire in Vietnam' HCM City kills 13
- 23.03.2018Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey - UPDATED
- 22.03.2018Military training aircraft crashes in central Turkey
- 22.03.2018Turkey, Free Syrian Army clear 4 more villages in Afrin
- 20.03.2018Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 11.07.2012Red Crescent aid worker killed in Syria: ICRC
- 11.07.2012Yemeni police capture escaped al-Qaida prisoners
- 11.07.2012Israeli State Attorney defends Olmert indiction
- 10.07.2012Iran should be part of solution to Syrian crisis: Annan
- 10.07.2012Three killed, 14 wounded in Iraq’s violence
- 10.07.20125.0-magnitude quake hits Myanmar