Japanese PM urges Russia to collaborate in untangling situation around DPRK
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has urged Russia to collaborate against the policies pursued by the DPRK and voiced the hope joint steps on the part of Japan and Russia would help scale down the current tensions on the Korean Peninsula, APA reports quoting TASS.
He said it in an interview with Channel One Russia’s show ‘Nighttime with Vladimir Solovyov’.
"I hope the joint actions on the part of Japan and Russia and the entire world community, including a still tougher resolution of the UN Security Council, and utmost pressure on North Korea will bring about changes in its policies," Abe said. "For this purpose, I call on Russia to cooperate so that it would resolutely show initiative in the current situation."
He added that Japan and Russia had agreed to cooperate at diverse levels.
"We agreed to hold an in-depth discussion of the problem at a meeting in Vladivostok," Abe said.
The situation in Korean remains extremely tense in the wake of DPRK’s steps to ramify its nuclear and missile program. The country held two ballistic missile tests in July and launched a yet another missile on August 29.
On September 3, it announced a successful test of a thermonuclear explosive that could be used as a warhead at an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 07.09.2017Syrian army fights to secure corridor into Deir al-Zor
- 07.09.2017Syrian opposition must accept it has not won the war: U.N.
- 07.09.2017Two PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 06.09.2017Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan sign historic border agreement
- 06.09.2017Iran hails cooperation between OPEC, non-OPEC countries for maintaining oil market stability
- 05.09.2017Syrian army breaks 3-year IS siege to Deir al-Zour