Japan's Aso says wants to discuss rules for free trade with U.S.
Japanese Finance Minister Taro Aso said on Friday he wants to use the U.S.-Japan economic dialogue as a platform to discuss rules for free trade and investment, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Aso said the dialogue would discuss economic policy, infrastructure and energy, but it is difficult to offer more details because U.S. President Donald Trump's administration is yet to fill some vacant positions.
"I want to discuss rules for free and fair trade and investment and hope that these rules can be spread throughout the world," Aso said.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Trump agreed last month to establish a new framework for economic dialogue to discuss trade and infrastructure investment to be chaired by Aso and U.S. Vice President Mike Pence.
Japanese media have reported that Pence will visit Tokyo next month, but the White House has yet to make an official announcement.
Shortly after taking office in January, Trump shocked Japanese policymakers by saying the Bank of Japan's monetary easing amounts to currency manipulation and complaining about the low number of U.S. auto exports to Japan.
Trump has since softened his tone on Japan, but there are concerns that the United States could adopt protectionist policies in the future to fulfill his pledge to make U.S. companies more competitive.
The economic dialogue between the two countries is seen as a test of whether the United States and Japan can maintain good economic ties under the new U.S. administration
Related news releases
- 25.03.2018More than 260 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 24.03.2018Explosion in Afghan capital reportedly kills 1, injures 9
- 24.03.2018Car bomb rips through crowd at Afghan wrestling match
- 24.03.2018Seoul says North Korea agrees to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on March 29
- 24.03.2018China's Liu He says China ready to defend its interests in trade spat with U.S.
- 23.03.2018Yemen’s Houthis claim to fire missile into Saudi Arabia
- 23.03.2018Luxury tenement fire in Vietnam' HCM City kills 13
- 23.03.2018Military personnel martyred in plane crash in Turkey - UPDATED
- 22.03.2018Military training aircraft crashes in central Turkey
- 22.03.2018Turkey, Free Syrian Army clear 4 more villages in Afrin
- 20.03.2018Daesh kills one officer, injures two in northern Iraq
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 05.03.2018'More than 40 militants' killed in Afghanistan
- 03.03.2017Iran jails politician after Revolution Guards criticism
- 04.03.2017Syrian opposition accepts U.N. principles at end of peace talks
- 04.03.2017Iran test-fires S300 air-defense system
- 03.03.2017First US Drone Strike in Trump Era Kills Two in Pakistan
- 03.03.2017Israel Starts Gas Supplies to Jordan
- 03.03.20174 militants, 2 troops killed in NW Pakistan