Israel moves to shut down local operations of Al Jazeera
Israel plans to revoke the media credentials of Al Jazeera TV journalists, close its Jerusalem bureau and pull the Qatar-based station's broadcasts from local cable and satellite providers, Communications Minister Ayoub Kara said on Sunday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The closure did not appear imminent, however, and an Israeli official said a legal process was still required to implement most of the proposed steps.
The Israeli move adds further pressure on Qatar, which has been involved in a dispute with four of its Arab neighbours.
Kara said the measures were intended to bolster Israel's security and "to bring a situation that channels based in Israel will report objectively".
Al Jazeera said Kara's comments were unsubstantiated and it would take all necessary legal measures if Israel acts on its threat.
Journalists working for the pan-Arab station in Israel said they did not expect imminent moves against them.
"Al Jazeera Media Network denounces this decision, which comes in the context of a campaign that was initiated by a statement made earlier by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu..." Al Jazeera said in a statement late on Sunday.
Last month, Netanyahu said he would work to shut the network's offices in Israel, accusing it of inciting violence in Jerusalem, including over an Old City site that is holy to both Muslims and Jews.
Kara said he would ask the Government Press Office to revoke the accreditation of Al Jazeera's journalists in Israel, where it has about 30 staff. Cable and satellite providers have expressed their willingness to turn off its broadcasts, he said.
Kara added that he had asked Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan to use his powers to close the station's offices in Israel, although a spokesman for Erdan said he doubted the minister had the authority to do so.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 08.08.2017At least 22 wounded in bomb blast in Pakistani city of Lahore
- 08.08.2017Joint Turkey-Qatar naval games exercises up outside Doha
- 08.08.2017South Korea holds live-fire drills near western border with North Korea
- 07.08.2017Iran arrests members of Daesh-linked group suspected of plotting terror attacks
- 07.08.2017India kills '5 militants' along Kashmir de facto border
- 06.08.2017Clandestine Isis unit training Britons to launch attacks on UK