Israel moves to shut down local operations of Al Jazeera
Israel plans to revoke the media credentials of Al Jazeera TV journalists, close its Jerusalem bureau and pull the Qatar-based station's broadcasts from local cable and satellite providers, Communications Minister Ayoub Kara said on Sunday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The closure did not appear imminent, however, and an Israeli official said a legal process was still required to implement most of the proposed steps.
The Israeli move adds further pressure on Qatar, which has been involved in a dispute with four of its Arab neighbours.
Kara said the measures were intended to bolster Israel's security and "to bring a situation that channels based in Israel will report objectively".
Al Jazeera said Kara's comments were unsubstantiated and it would take all necessary legal measures if Israel acts on its threat.
Journalists working for the pan-Arab station in Israel said they did not expect imminent moves against them.
"Al Jazeera Media Network denounces this decision, which comes in the context of a campaign that was initiated by a statement made earlier by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu..." Al Jazeera said in a statement late on Sunday.
Last month, Netanyahu said he would work to shut the network's offices in Israel, accusing it of inciting violence in Jerusalem, including over an Old City site that is holy to both Muslims and Jews.
Kara said he would ask the Government Press Office to revoke the accreditation of Al Jazeera's journalists in Israel, where it has about 30 staff. Cable and satellite providers have expressed their willingness to turn off its broadcasts, he said.
Kara added that he had asked Internal Security Minister Gilad Erdan to use his powers to close the station's offices in Israel, although a spokesman for Erdan said he doubted the minister had the authority to do so.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani urges every possible means to avert US move on Holy Quds
- 13.12.2017Palestinian president urges world not to recognize Israeli state
- 13.12.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes rocket scientists, promises more weapons
- 13.12.20176.1 earthquake strikes eastern Iran
- 12.12.2017Russia withdraws diplomats from Yemen's Sanaa
- 12.12.2017Hamas announces beginning of third intifada against US decision on Jerusalem
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 05.12.2017Roadside bomb targeting military vehicle kills 6 in North Waziristan, Pakistan
- 05.12.2017Iranian soldier killed in attack near Turkish border
- 05.12.2017South Korea, U.S. launch air drills amid North Korean warnings of nuclear war
- 05.12.2017U.N. political affairs chief to visit North Korea this week
- 05.12.2017US defense secretary meets Pakistan’s prime minister
- 08.08.2017At least 22 wounded in bomb blast in Pakistani city of Lahore
- 08.08.2017Joint Turkey-Qatar naval games exercises up outside Doha
- 08.08.2017South Korea holds live-fire drills near western border with North Korea
- 07.08.2017Iran arrests members of Daesh-linked group suspected of plotting terror attacks
- 07.08.2017India kills '5 militants' along Kashmir de facto border
- 06.08.2017Clandestine Isis unit training Britons to launch attacks on UK