Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
Islamic State issued a video on Wednesday threatening new attacks in the Iranian capital Tehran and calling on young Iranians to rise up and launch jihad in their country, APA reports quoting Reuters.
A man wearing a black ski mask and holding an AK-47, seated alongside two others, made the threat in a video bearing the Islamic State's Amaq news agency logo and showing footage of two attacks in Tehran in June claimed by the militant group.
Islamic State, a Sunni Muslim group which has sought to establish a caliphate in parts of the Gulf but is now under pressure from national armies and international groups in Syria and Iraq, sees Iran, which is predominantly Shi'ite, as one of its biggest enemies in the region.
The group killed at least 18 people in attacks on parliament in Tehran and the mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini on June 7.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards fired several missiles at Islamic State bases in Syria on June 18 in response to that attack. Iranian officials have also announced the arrests of dozens allegedly linked to the attacks.
Another portion of the video showed militants in black ski masks speaking out against Shi'ites in Arabic and threatening attacks against them in Iraq.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 09.08.2017Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED