Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
Islamic State issued a video on Wednesday threatening new attacks in the Iranian capital Tehran and calling on young Iranians to rise up and launch jihad in their country, APA reports quoting Reuters.
A man wearing a black ski mask and holding an AK-47, seated alongside two others, made the threat in a video bearing the Islamic State's Amaq news agency logo and showing footage of two attacks in Tehran in June claimed by the militant group.
Islamic State, a Sunni Muslim group which has sought to establish a caliphate in parts of the Gulf but is now under pressure from national armies and international groups in Syria and Iraq, sees Iran, which is predominantly Shi'ite, as one of its biggest enemies in the region.
The group killed at least 18 people in attacks on parliament in Tehran and the mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini on June 7.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards fired several missiles at Islamic State bases in Syria on June 18 in response to that attack. Iranian officials have also announced the arrests of dozens allegedly linked to the attacks.
Another portion of the video showed militants in black ski masks speaking out against Shi'ites in Arabic and threatening attacks against them in Iraq.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 11.10.2017UN gearing up for heavy influx of Rohingya Muslim refugees
- 11.10.2017Pyongyang: CIA tried to assassinate Kim Jong-un with biochemical weapon
- 10.10.2017Bangladesh: Top Jamaat-e-Islami leaders arrested
- 08.10.20172 Turkish guards martyred by PKK in Turkey's Diyarbakir
- 08.10.2017Turkey aims to prevent conflict in Syria's Idlib: FM
- 08.10.2017Gunman attacks Saudi security forces at gate of Jeddah royal palace
- 08.10.2017Erbil, Baghdad agree on dialogue, lifting sanctions
- 07.10.2017US addicted to imposing sanctions but Iran is immunized: Zarif
- 07.10.2017Security forces capture 2 PKK terrorists in SE Turkey
- 07.10.2017Deputy PM of Kyrgyzstan dies in car crash
- 06.10.2017Iran open to talks over its ballistic missile program
- 06.10.2017Earthquake with magnitude 6 strikes Iwaki, Japan
- 05.10.2017Erdogan: "Turkey to close borders with Iraqi Kurdistan soon"
- 05.10.2017Iraq Turkmen leader calls for ‘federal model’ in Kirkuk
- 04.10.2017UN asked to help resolve Kashmir dispute
- 04.10.2017Federal Security Service Chief: ISIL may create another worldwide terrorist network
- 04.10.2017Train crushes 3 young men taking selfies on railway track in India
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 09.08.2017Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED