Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
Islamic State issued a video on Wednesday threatening new attacks in the Iranian capital Tehran and calling on young Iranians to rise up and launch jihad in their country, APA reports quoting Reuters.
A man wearing a black ski mask and holding an AK-47, seated alongside two others, made the threat in a video bearing the Islamic State's Amaq news agency logo and showing footage of two attacks in Tehran in June claimed by the militant group.
Islamic State, a Sunni Muslim group which has sought to establish a caliphate in parts of the Gulf but is now under pressure from national armies and international groups in Syria and Iraq, sees Iran, which is predominantly Shi'ite, as one of its biggest enemies in the region.
The group killed at least 18 people in attacks on parliament in Tehran and the mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini on June 7.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards fired several missiles at Islamic State bases in Syria on June 18 in response to that attack. Iranian officials have also announced the arrests of dozens allegedly linked to the attacks.
Another portion of the video showed militants in black ski masks speaking out against Shi'ites in Arabic and threatening attacks against them in Iraq.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani urges every possible means to avert US move on Holy Quds
- 13.12.2017Palestinian president urges world not to recognize Israeli state
- 13.12.2017North Korea's Kim Jong Un fetes rocket scientists, promises more weapons
- 13.12.20176.1 earthquake strikes eastern Iran
- 12.12.2017Russia withdraws diplomats from Yemen's Sanaa
- 12.12.2017Hamas announces beginning of third intifada against US decision on Jerusalem
- 12.12.2017EU tells Netanyahu it rejects Trump's Jerusalem move
- 12.12.2017Hezbollah's Nasrallah says group to focus on Israel
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake rattles western Iran
- 11.12.20176-magnitude earthquake hits Iran
- 11.12.2017Putin orders Russian forces pullout from Syria
- 11.12.2017Putin visits Russia’s Hmeymim air base in Syria
- 10.12.2017Lebanon’s FM: "Arab nations should consider imposing economic sanctions against the United States"
- 10.12.2017Arab states urge U.S. to abandon Jerusalem move
- 10.12.2017South Korea's Hyundai says faces headwinds from weaker yen next year
- 10.12.2017Palestinian President Abbas won't meet Pence in region: foreign minister
- 10.12.2017Iraq and Iran sign Kirkuk oil swap deal
- 09.12.2017Turkey, Iran security cooperation ‘vital’ for region
- 09.12.20172 dead, 7 buried in debris after chemical plant explosion in east China
- 09.12.2017Iraq declares war with Islamic State is over
- 09.12.2017Two dead in 'Day of Rage' over Jerusalem, Palestinian president defiant
- 09.12.2017Airstrikes kill 5 civilians in Syria
- 09.12.2017Palestinian negotiator says 'no talking' with U.S. until Trump reverses Jerusalem decision: Al Jazeera
- 09.12.2017At least 25 wounded in Israeli retaliation strikes in Gaza
- 08.12.2017Israeli servicemen down rocket fired from Gaza Strip
- 08.12.2017Two hikers dead, 7 missing in Iran avalanche
- 08.12.2017Clashes erupt in West Bank, East Jerusalem between Palestinian protesters and Israeli troops
- 08.12.20171 killed, 8 wounded in eastern Afghan mosque blast
- 08.12.2017Israel strikes Gaza, no injured
- 07.12.2017Erdogan, Putin to discuss US Jerusalem
- 07.12.2017Senior North Korean diplomat meets U.N. political affairs chief
- 07.12.2017Trump declaration on Jerusalem destroys two-state solution - PLO
- 07.12.2017Palestine, Egypt confer after US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Iranian FM: Littoral States agree on bulk of Caspian legal regime
- 06.12.2017Europe fears attacks by returning Daesh fighters
- 05.12.2017Roadside bomb targeting military vehicle kills 6 in North Waziristan, Pakistan
- 05.12.2017Iranian soldier killed in attack near Turkish border
- 05.12.2017South Korea, U.S. launch air drills amid North Korean warnings of nuclear war
- 05.12.2017U.N. political affairs chief to visit North Korea this week
- 05.12.2017US defense secretary meets Pakistan’s prime minister
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 09.08.2017Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED