ISIS kill 18 Afghan soldiers in attack on outpost
Islamic State fighters attacked an Afghan army post in the eastern border province of Nangarhar, near Pakistan, late on Thursday and killed at least 18 soldiers, a local official said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Ahmad Ali Hazrat, head of the provincial council, said the attack took place in the Deh Bala district of Nangarhar and killed about 18 soldiers manning an outpost. A security official, who declined to be named, confirmed the account.
Attahullah Khoqyani, spokesman for Nangarhar's governor, said operations by Afghan troops backed by international forces, had killed about 25 Islamic State militants in two districts of the province in the past 24 hours.
Over the past two years, militants loyal to Islamic State have established a stronghold in eastern Afghanistan where they fight both Afghan security forces and the Taliban.
U.S. and Afghan officials believe Islamic State has several hundred fighters but say the movement has been weakened by repeated drone strikes and special forces operations.
However the group has claimed a number of high profile attacks outside its eastern stronghold, notably against Shi'ite targets in the capital Kabul.
The Nangarhar attack came on the same day that Islamic State claimed a suicide bombing on a Sufi shrine in southern Pakistan, that killed at least 83 people.
Khoqyani said Pakistani artillery had shelled Lal Pur district on the Pakistan border, forcing hundreds of families to flee their homes.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2017China warns of 'unimaginable' Korean war
- 27.04.2017Air attacks kill 6 in refugee camp in Syria’s Idlib
- 26.04.201710 Iranian guards killed at Pakistani border
- 26.04.201714 killed in Taliban attack in Pakistan's tribal belt
- 26.04.2017The United States received a notice from Turkey an hour before operation in Syria and Iraq
- 26.04.2017Turkish jets kill senior PKK member in northern Iraq
- 25.04.2017Ankara court sentences 24 to life for killing Kurdish teen
- 24.04.201726 paramilitary personnel killed in central India
- 24.04.2017Philippines: 36 Maute terrorists killed in clashes
- 24.04.2017Suspected Maoist rebels kill 24 troops in Chhattisgarh
- 24.04.2017Iran to open polls in Azerbaijan for May 19 presidential election
- 23.04.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Philippines
- 23.04.2017Saudi king restores civil service and military allowances
- 22.04.2017Turkey condemns terror attack on Afghan army
- 22.04.2017Five killed in road accident in southern Philippines
- 22.04.2017Terrorists launch mortar attack in Damascus
- 22.04.2017Taliban kill '140' troops in Afghan base attack
- 22.04.2017At least 8 killed in eastern India in fighting over control for sandpits
- 21.04.2017U.S. forces kill Islamic State militant linked to Turkey nightclub attack
- 21.04.2017Taliban inflict more than 50 Afghan casualties in base attack, U.S. says - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017İSİL claims responsibility for Paris shooting
- 21.04.2017EU says ready to welcome back UK if it decides to stay
- 20.04.2017Russian officer killed in militant attack on Syrian Army Base - UPDATED
- 20.04.2017Syrian President: "Reports about capture of ISIL leader Baghdadi not true"
- 20.04.2017Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif
- 20.04.2017Bus-truck collision leaves 11 dead in Iran
- 20.04.2017North Korea says 'don't mess with us' as U.S. plans next move
- 20.04.2017Syria chemical attack undeniable, says OPCW chief
- 20.04.2017At Least 3 Al-Qaeda Militants Killed in Airstrikes in Southern Afghanistan
- 20.04.2017Tillerson: Iran nuclear agreement fails to achieve objectives
- 19.04.2017Iraqi army says third of old western Mosul retaken
- 19.04.2017Australian advisers caught in Mosul chemical attack
- 19.04.2017Pentagon might try to shoot down Pyongyang’s next missile test
- 18.04.2017Daesh car-bomb attack kills 16 in W. Mosul: Iraqi army
- 18.04.2017Iranian president criticizes IRGC for interfering country’s economic affairs
- 18.04.2017285 killed during Myanmar’s water festival
- 18.04.2017Japan may consider deploying troops in case of DPRK missile fall in its waters
- 18.04.2017Hardline Hindu youth call the shots on streets of northern India
- 17.04.2017US and South Korea agree 'early' deployment of THAAD missile defence system
- 16.04.2017Death toll in Syrian blast rises 100 - UPDATED
- 18.02.2017North Korea says will reject Malaysian post-mortem of Kim Jong Nam
- 18.02.2017China sees chance of six-party talks with North Korea
- 18.02.2017Pakistan Armed Forces killed over 100 militants in 24 hours since shrine attack
- 17.02.2017US' Tillerson calms allies on Syria ahead of Geneva talks
- 17.02.2017Three people found dead in water tank in Australia
- 17.02.2017Samsung heir facing South Korea arrest