ISIS commander sent IED parts to would-be plane bombers, Australian police says
A senior ISIS commander sent parts to make an improvised explosive device (IED) to the two men who were arrested in connection to an alleged plot to take down a passenger plane, Australian police said Friday, APA reports quoting CNN.
The accused were also involved in another scheme to release a toxic gas in public, Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner National Security Michael Phelan said at a press conference.
The plan to bomb the airliner was one of the "most sophisticated plots that has ever been attempted on Australian soil," Phelan said.
The components of the IED were sent through international air cargo by the ISIS operative to the accused men, Phelan said. The two were charged with terror-related offenses Thursday.
The accused men received the parts in Australia and assembled what police believe was a "full functioning" IED, he said.
They attempted to take the device on an Etihad Airways flight on July 15, but the plan was aborted. "At no stage did the IED breach airline security," Phelan said.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria
- 25.02.20181 terrorist killed, 11 others arrested in SW Pakistan
- 25.02.2018Iraq needs S-400 air defense systems to defend against air attacks — MP
- 25.02.2018Saakashvili's Supporters Protest Near Ukraine's Chief Prosecutor's House
- 24.02.2018UN SC unanimously adopts resolution on 30-day ceasefire in Syria
- 24.02.2018Speeding vehicle kills 9 schoolchildren in İndia
- 24.02.2018Dozens killed in 2 car bombings in Yemen's Aden
- 24.02.2018South Korea says U.S. sanctions on North will bolster U.N. resolutions
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 05.08.2017Yemenis, Iranians sue U.S. State Dept, ask for visas to be processed
- 05.08.2017About 2,000 Islamic State fighters remain in Syrian city of Raqqa: U.S. envoy
- 05.08.2017Hezbollah says will join fight on Islamic State on Lebanese border
- 04.08.2017China warns India of 'serious consequences' over border
- 04.08.2017NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan convoy attack: coalition
- 04.08.2017Large fire rips through Dubai's Torch Tower - VİDEO