Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi on Tuesday said an agreement had been reached between his al-Nasr coalition and influential Shia cleric Moqtada al-Sadr-led coalition on forming a government, APA reports.
Addressing a news conference in the capital Baghdad, al-Abadi ruled out any possibility of a re-election over complaints of rigging.
He called on all the political blocs to "adhere to the constitutional deadlines of the formation of government".
According to Iraqi law, the parliament should convene within 15 days of the election results.
Al-Sadr's coalition won the most votes in the first post-Daesh polls in the country on May 12. However, this in itself will not guarantee that the cleric will be able to pick a prime minister.
Lengthy negotiations will follow and all winning blocs will have to agree on the nomination.
Separately, a demonstration was staged in Sunni-majority northern Nineveh province to protest against the annulment of their vote by the Independent High Electoral Commission.
The protesters demanded fresh polls alleging massive rigging.
About one million people have fled their homes in Nineveh province during the war against Daesh terrorist organization. The Iraqi government says about half of them have returned to their homes while the rest still live in several camps scattered across the country.
Final results were announced several days after Iraqis voted in the country’s first parliamentary poll since the Daesh terrorist group was defeated late last year.
Preliminary results had been announced days earlier, but widespread fraud allegations had reportedly delayed a final vote count.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq